Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

santib2016

Dinamic columns?

hello to the powerbi community,

This may be a weird question, but im not sure the option exist...

i would like to know, how to achieve this idea.

For a given data set, i have created 5 formulas A,B,C,D,E

each formula result in 1 or 0.

lets assume i want to see protocol number 1. (row), and the results for this protocol are like this:

Protocol  - Formula A - Formula B - Formula C - Formula D - Formula E

N.1                1                  0                  0                   1                   0

Lets assume i dont know the results of these formulas, until they are calculated. But my data set is too large to search each, one by one.

Is there a way, to let power bi, automatically supress the columns that results in 0 ? So i can be able to see the next:

Protocol  - Formula A - Formula D - 

N.1                1                      1                  

The formulas are still calculated, but avoided from the table view. so if i choose another protocol number, the columns would change accordly to its new results.

Im sorry if i wasnt clear enough.

Thanks for any tip , or if its not possible. I would like to suggest this option for future updates.

Santiago.

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

And you'll have your dynamic columns. If some value changes, the table will adjust the view.

Let me know if it works.

#I'M Not An Expert#

its quite hard to explain, and probably i want to use powerbi for something it wasnt created for 😄

the functions i ve created, report "1 or 0", are actually "reading" the data from the table, and report yes or no, if they find the data they are related to.

Example. Function 1. reads the table protocol (ej protocolA = row1), looking if he finds the word,  -car- other function reads for the word -house-, and so on for over 100 functions,, (each row/protocol  is a largeeee data set of information, wich explains why im doing this, since i want to be able to agregate the data in the future)

Now imagine, if i want to check out protocol A, the table would be too large to visualize properly (1 row and >100 columns),

if i do the visual filter, i would be forcing power bi to show me , the functions that I want to be 1.  (if i choose 35 functions to be 1, it will show me only the row that is 1 in the all 35 functions, and thats not what im looking for), if i choose any other filter option it will show me all the functions, since the results are only 1 or 0.

Instead, i want to be able to tell power bi, ok. i have protocol A, show me all the functions its 1 for, avoiding 0 (here is where columns would be dinamic, since the result would be azarous,.

Protocol A, would have only 5 functions that are positive = 5 columns.

Protocol B, would have 15 functions positive = 15 columns.

ect,

Sorry if im not clear enough,, my english and the complexity of the idea are a bad combination.,,,

@santib2016

I need to deal with a similar scenario. Did you find a solution yet?

Not really. Im sorry.
Guess nobody thought it was usefull. Yet i still belive this would be great for datasets with large amount of conditional columns.
If people here support the idea, may be powerbi staff will think about adding it to future updates.

hey @santib2016

Can you post some data or upload an excel sheet somewhere and information about expected results (if possible some screen shots) and I'm sure we can figure something out.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @santib2016,

if I understood what you want maybe I have a solution. You have to set a "Visual level filter" on your functino column in the visualization. Let me explain...

1) I've created an example dataset and a function that return 0 and 1 values.

dinamicColumns (1).png

2) After that I've set the visual level filter on the function column display only the values greater than 0.

dinamicColumns (2).png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

February 2024 Update Carousel

Power BI Monthly Update - February 2024

Check out the February 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Fabric Career Hub

Microsoft Fabric Career Hub

Explore career paths and learn resources in Fabric.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.