Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Different Data Sources within One Report with Multiple Tabs

Hi Community Gurus!

How do you combine PowerBI reports that are compiled within different pbix files?

Currently I have two pbix files that I'd like to consolidate into 1. The breakdown of the files are:

File 1: Has 4 tabs of reports within in. The data source is from my development environment.

File 2: Has 1 tab with one report within it. The data source is from my pre-production environment.

I am now trying to merge these files so that I have 5 tabs  by adding the report that is stored within File 2 to a 5 tab within file 1. How can I go about doing this?

I researched ways within this forum and noticed that this cannot be done per this post.  Does anyone know of a workaround.

This report is just a pilot report that needs to be approved by stakeholders. As a result, I'm just trying to get this information into one report with different tabs that the stakeholders can interact with to test the data and layout. 

After this is approved, I will then need to take these 5 reports and move them into my production environment. The data source will be completely different, but the reports will need to remain the same. Per this post I cannot achieve this. However, does anyone else know if this is possible?

Otherwise, I will need to rebuild these reports 2 different times.

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @PowerBINewbie_1,

1. I would suggest you vote up this idea or create a new one for the feature merging files.

2. It seems possible if you can make sure the final statement of all the queries are the same. For example, one query "Table1" is from an Excel file, you can enter these data by hand and there will be a new query "Table2". Now, you can delete "Table1" and change the name of "Table2" to "Table1". 

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Thanks. I had to just use two different reports. I couldn't combine them 😕

The first report was pulling from a data source. Lets call that A. Which had a whole set of data attached to the fields.

The second report was pulling from another data source. Also called A. But had different values attached because it is my test environment. Thus, when I tried to combine the fields I ran into errors because they are identical names with different values.

I did vote as you suggested.

Regards,

PBN 

Hi @PowerBINewbie_1,

What's the error message? Did you append these two queries?

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.