Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

calebmfoster
Regular Visitor

Dax Calculated Column to Count Number of Patients

Hello,

I have two data tables, one with a distinct list of medical practices and one with a list of patients that belong to that practice along with when they were enrolled or if they've disenrolled in our program. I need to get a count of the number of patients at each practice for billing purposes. It must be done in DAX rather than in Power Query because the date range will change , and therefore, the number of active patients at the time of billing will change. Below is an example of each table and the results I am trying to achieve.

Practice Table:

Practice NamePracitce ID
Practice 1 Name45
Practice 2 Name29

Patient Table:

Patient NamePractice ID
Patient A 45
Patient B 45
Patient C 29

Final Practice Table:

Practice NamePractice IDNumber of Patients
Practice 1 Name 45 2
Practice 2 Name 29 1
6 REPLIES 6
lukiz84
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

amit he want's to slice from and to dates, the calculated column won't help here...

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@calebmfoster , A new column in Practice table

countx(filter(Patient , Patient[Practice ID] = Practice [Practice ID]),Patient[Practice ID])

lukiz84
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Where is the date from/to?

The enrollment from and to dates are in the patient table. They're being used as a slicer on the report. I should note, that I inherited this report and don't currently have permission to alter the data layout.

no need to alter it, i figured it would be in Patient table, makes the most sense here. Do you have a seperate date table in place or do you want to set the slicers on the Date from / To fields?

I'd like to set it on the from to fields

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.