Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alvin199
Helper III
Helper III

Dataset With NA Date and 2 Date Column Inquiries

Hi guys, 

I have a dataset with 2 date columns, Created Date and Closed Date. The Closed Date is having NA.

alvin199_0-1698909652878.png

Below is my questions:

1. Since Date data type is not allow to have NA, thus is it a good practice to change it to Text date type?

2. I have separate original table to 2 tables. The Good Dates table is having both Created Date and Closed Date column in Date data type, while the NA Dates table have Created Date in Date data type and the Closed Date in Text type.

Also, there is no relationship between the table as a table is separated into two.

In practice, is it advisable in the perspective of data modeling?

alvin199_1-1698909736190.png

Here is the dataset and PBIX file for reference

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-me6xuh9BHotW3A_HbI-4yPQYFTJIgHT/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=11028...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NR2s4YoDt7I_t_om1J8XXfbwI_5dMfKl/view?usp=sharing

Thank you. 

2 REPLIES 2
olgad
Super User
Super User

Hi,

why dont you just replace NA values with null in the Power Query and keep it as a Date column. 

Dont separate the tables and make things complicated. 

DID I ANSWER YOUR QUESTION? PLEASE MARK MY POST AS A SOLUTION! APPRECIATE YOUR KUDO/LIKE!
PROUD TO BE A SUPER USER!
Best Stories, Interesting Cases: PowerBI Storytime Newsletter
Linkedin Profile: Linkedin
YouTube Channel: PowerBI Storytime

Hi, I have try to replace the null with NA for the Closed Date but it shows error when PBI is loading after I saved and closed the Power Query Editor. The reason is Date data type cannot have missing value and NA. 

Thus, I separate it but not sure is this a good pratice. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.