Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

mwyller
Regular Visitor

Data

Hello friends,

I'm new to Power BI and am working on my 1st report.
I’ve searched for discussions that might answer my question, but being new ‘I don’t know what I don’t know’ yet and can’t find a similar posting..

I have one slicer for ‘State’ that works fine.
I’m trying to add a slicer for ‘Test Type’, but it doesn’t work. I believe it’s due to the structure of my table but I’m not sure how to modify it.

Here’s my report:

data.jpg

Here’s my data:

table.jpg

I appreciate any comments!

4 REPLIES 4
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @mwyller

You can use the values of the single column in the slicer. If you would like to filter your reports for different test type, You need to create a new slicer for each test type ( Multiple Slicers) or Alternatively, You can create new tables that supports the relationship with each of your test type  or You can use the query editor to unpivot all the test type in your table and that can give you the desired result.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Bhavexh

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Your data is not well structured.  The dataset will have to be unpivoted to convert it to a 5 column one - the last two columns being Test type and Response.  Then you must create a relatioship form the Test type column of this unpivoted dataset to the Test type column of the table (from where you have built the slicer).

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
pxg08680
Resolver III
Resolver III

@mwyller

Where's your Test Type column in the data provided, is it a column in the same table or is it in a different table..?

parry2k
Super User
Super User

Is test type column in another table? If yes, what is the relationship between tables?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.