Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Erika16
Helper I
Helper I

Data to Power BI from an excel file that is in a teams' channel

Can I use an excel file that sits on a teams' chanel as a source for Power BI?

Do you know how can I do that? I've only being able to connect Power BI to teams but it shows the users, mentions etc and I need an excel file that is inside a teams' channel.

Many thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The data doesn't live in Teams, it's just displayed in Teams. You can add your report as a tab in Teams and I'm sure she'll be happy with that... the only thing referencing SharePoint is a single line in the query editor so it's not something anyone would ever notice. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
christinepayton
Super User
Super User

Yes, Teams files are stored in SharePoint. You can see them in the Files tab in Teams, if you want to open them in SharePoint in a browser there is an "Open in SharePoint" option in the ellipsis menu in the toolbar. 

If it's a single file you want to connect to, my preferred method is to download a copy, connect to it locally, then change the path to the SharePoint file path (instructions here: https://youtu.be/2HZ8l23RXnc?si=lTo2qUFFoFqh4VwY). This avoids the extra baggage that comes with the SP Folder connector. 

Many thanks indeed @christinepayton   for coming back to my question. 

My IT manager wants to move away from sharepoint. She wants us to use teams inestead. She wants me to use a channel in teams as a source of data. I understand this is ultimatelly sharepoint but she doesn't want me to conect to sharepoint directly, she wants me to get the data from teams. Do you know if that's possible? 

Many thanks!! 

The data doesn't live in Teams, it's just displayed in Teams. You can add your report as a tab in Teams and I'm sure she'll be happy with that... the only thing referencing SharePoint is a single line in the query editor so it's not something anyone would ever notice. 

3CloudThomas
Super User
Super User

Usually a Teams channel is tied to a Sharepoint site. See if the Teams admin can give you the sharepoint site where the file is hosted.

Thanks a lot for coming back to me @3CloudThomas 

My IT manager wants to move away from sharepoint. She wants us to use teams inestead. She wants me to use a channel in teams as a source of data. I understand this is ultimatelly sharepoint but she doesn't want me to conect to sharepoint to Power BI directly, she wants me to get the data from teams. Do you know if that's possible? 

Many thanks!! 😁

Sorry, @Erika16 I do not know of a metod to connect to Excel file in Teams other than the Sharepoint location.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.