Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MiraNi
Advocate III
Advocate III

Data restricted on lower org. level but not restricted on higher org. levels

I have data on team level and it can be grouped by higher org. levels unit and company. I have team leader, who should see all data, when visualized in unit or company level but only own team, when visualized on team level. In practise, this would mean, that team column is then included in the visuals, where data needs to be restricted. Team leader reports are separated from general unit/company level reports and they are published in apps.

I have a golden dataset with four fact tables. One possibility is to aggregate current team level data into unit level fact table and have no RLS on that. Then add team leader security role into current team level facts. But this would mean duplicating data and measures. This would secure the data best, I think.

Other possibility is to just make a copy of the dataset after each time, change has been done to it. Then create team leader report against the other with RLS and create unit/company level reports against the other one without RLS. Of course this is not so secure way, if developer creates a team level visualization and publishes it, a team leader can see all data, when there is no RLS assigned in that dataset.

Is there any other way to do this?

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Use different reports, preferably in different workspaces.

Golden dataset is in use and I would like to keep it that way if possible. And I would not like to duplicate the reports either because they are the same for all, only data should be resticted.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.