Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DataGuy2016
Advocate II
Advocate II

DISTINCT command pulls BLANKS

Hi there,

We are creating DISTINCT tables.  We are getting distinct rows, but we are also getting a BLANK row.

How do we remove the BLANK row so we only have non blank rows?

We looked at:

FILTER(DISTINCT(Transactions[CheckInLoc]), <> BLANK)

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@DataGuy2016

Just change the column instead of all table

Table = DISTINCT(FILTER(VALUES(Transactions[CheckInLoc]),LEN(Transactions[CheckInLoc])>0))

Lima - Peru

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@DataGuy2016

Hi, please try with this:

Table = DISTINCT(FILTER(Transactions,LEN(Transactions[CheckInLoc])>0))

Lima - Peru

Hi,

Nice try and thank you very much for your suggestion.

However...

I only want the CheckinLoc column with the unique values for that column.  Your query pulls all columns.  

@DataGuy2016

Just change the column instead of all table

Table = DISTINCT(FILTER(VALUES(Transactions[CheckInLoc]),LEN(Transactions[CheckInLoc])>0))

Lima - Peru

@Vvelarde , I'm having an issue with this solution. I created my table of (what appear to be) distinct values using the following DAX:

Units = VAR tbl1 = DISTINCT(FILTER(VALUES('Prospect Pool'[Unit]),LEN('Prospect Pool'[Unit]) > 0)) VAR tbl2 = DISTINCT('Qualification Interactions'[BUSINESS UNIT]) RETURN UNION(tbl1,tbl2)

But when I try to join that new table to another table in a one-to-many relationship, I get an error that one of the columns must contain distinct values. I took the results from the DAX above into Excel to examine more closely for issues but didn't find any. 

Any thoughts on what might be messing me up here? Thanks (if you're still out there!). Perhaps I need to use a different method to generate this table of distinct values from columns in multiple tables?

@MarkPalmberg 

Hi, maybe there are duplicates in the Union.

Also i prefer to filter the blank rows instead of Len > 0

DISTINCT(FILTER(VALUES(Table1[Unit]),Table1[Unit]<>BLANK()))

Regards

Victor

Lima - Peru

Thanks for your reply, @Vvelarde . 

I tried another method to generate my table of distinct values, but I'm still getting the same duplicate errors value.

I created two queries, one from each "Unit" column in my two source tables. I then removed dupes from each and converted them to tables, then did an append query of those two tables and removed duplicates from *that* query. No love. I could generate this list of values in a SQL query, but I'm trying to learn some DAX and M within Power BI so would like to get it working there, if for no other reason than to discover what I've done wrong.

Came in handy after may other options did not help me.

@Vvelarde

Cheers Victor!

Thank you very much indeed.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.