Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Asantos2020
Advocate II
Advocate II

DAX for Cumulative Sum For Current Month (Ignoring Date Slicer), including Activity Slicer

Hello guys,

Here is the situation:

Sales Table:

Date            Activity          Total
07/07/19    Retail              $1,000

07/08/2019 Retail             $1,500

Calendar Table

Date

Activity as Slicer

Relationship duly established.

I need to have a DAX that would give me the cumulative total for current month based, ignoring a Date Slicer and considering the Activity in Slicer.

So far, I got and this and I can't figure out how to include Activity here... 

Total Cumulativo = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales Table[Total]);ALL(Sales Table[Date]))

Thanks a million!

8 REPLIES 8
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Asantos2020 

Based on my understanding, you want to get Cumulative Sum For Current Month through all years.

If so, you could edit interactions for the slicer and other visuals as below

4.png

Then create measures

current month = MONTH(TODAY())

month of the date = MONTH(MAX(Sheet1[date]))

Measure =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( Sheet1[value] ),
    FILTER (
        ALLSELECTED ( Sheet1 ),
        [current month] = [month of the date]
            && Sheet1[date] <= MAX ( Sheet1[date] )
    )
)

3.png

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-juanli-msft ,

I actually needed it to show current year totals up to current month. I've managed to do it, but throughtout current year. I'll try your suggestion later on. For now, I'll leave it as it is...with months to come showing on the chart.

Thank you!

Cmcmahan
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

I'm assuming by current month, you mean the current actual month, as opposed to the contextual current month.

Total Cumulativo = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales Table[Total]);ALLEXCEPT('Sales Table'; 'Sales Table'[Activity]))

This will sum all totals in your table that are currently selected by your slicer.   

Hello @Cmcmahan !

Thanks for your response. However, this is not aggregating by date, though:

Total Cumulativo.JPG

I have a Date Slicer, filtering the other visuals to Today. This visual, though, should display how we are doing through current month. 

Curiously, it doesn't even show 2019 now, so I could try drilling down.

Any hint as to why this is happening?

Thanks!

Regards,

Antonio

Depends on the value of that line.  If that line is zero, then the measure isn't working or isn't getting any results.  If that line has a number (like 2500) then it's working for the entire current year, and you need to drill down to the month instead of the year.

If you hit the forked down arrow, and get down to month, I'd be more interested in the results there.

Hi @Cmcmahan !

After playing around with it, I've gotten to the following, but it isn't cumulative, though and I can't seem to make it work with this calculation: 

Fat. Cumulativo = CALCULATE(SUM(BI_Vendas[Faturamento]);FILTER('Calendário';MONTH('Calendário'[Date])=MONTH(TODAY())))

Total Comulativo.JPG

So what is this a sum of?  All values from the current month?

You need to add a term somewhere in your filter that includes all dates less than the current date being evaluated.

Something like 

Fat. Cumulativo = CALCULATE(SUM(BI_Vendas[Faturamento]);FILTER('Calendário';MONTH('Calendário'[Date])=MONTH(TODAY()) && 'Calendário'[Date] < SELECTEDVALUE('Calendário'[Date]) ))

Hi @Cmcmahan !

It actually doesn't even allow me to look at it from the month standpoint, as it takes all dates from the calendar table I created (2014 through 2030), giving me the total sum for this time range (...so not zero, but a flat total):

Total Comulativo.JPG

See that it doesn't allow me to drill down in any way, though.

Any other tweak I'm missing?

Thanks!

Antonio

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.