Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

msl924
Helper I
Helper I

Average of a Measure?

Hi everyone, I realize this question has been asked before but I don't believe the previous solutions are applicable in my case. 

I'm looking to create an average of another measure, one that I have for accuracy of shipments vs forecasts, which is included in a matrix of multiple products over a fiscal year. It seems like the only way to get an average is with the values in a column. However, due to the way the data sources are structured, there is no way (that I know of) to do this currently or to add a column to my current tables that would work. I can create a new table, but I would like to avoid that if possible. Any ideas? Thanks! 

- m  

4 REPLIES 4
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

are you able to provide sample data in text form?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Here are scaled down examples of the three main sources.

This first one is forecast data. In any given month, there will be a forecast for a series of future months. While I'm tracking changes in the monthly forecast, I'm mostly concerned about the relevant forecast to measure accuracy. That is, i'll look at what the forecast amount was 3 months ago because of lead time to see if that value matches the shipping. In otherwords, I look at the forecast value for July at input date April. I then compare this with the actual shipments in July, which may entail multiple shipments of same product to the same customer as showin in the second table. The third is a date reference table I have. Since there are so many dates, I've had to create one active relationship with date between the shipping and datekey, defined an inactive relationship between the datekey and forecast, and then use the USERELATIONSHIP formula to get Power BI to do what I want. 

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

@msl924  please can you do it in text not pics, otherwise i can't grab the data

thanks

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Sorry about that! Does this come through as text? 

Forecast Data
PartForecast Input DateForecast ForQtyRelevant Forecast
AAprilApril50 
AAprilMay60 
AAprilJune70 
AAprilJuly6060
BAprilApril100 
BAprilMay200 
BAprilJune200 
BAprilJuly200200

Shipping Data
CustomerPartShip DateQty
1A7/1/201850
1A7/12/201850

DateKey
DateKeyMonth NoMoYr
7/1/20187Jul-18
7/2/20187Jul-18
7/3/20187Jul-18

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.