Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX Measure causes Cartesian product in table

Hi all,

I'm having trouble understanding why the following happens (and how to prevent it):

I have two tables, which I join via a 1:1 relation on a key.

Joining the two tablesJoining the two tablesth

The result after joining is as expected:

Result after joiningResult after joining

Now, when we add a measure: Ones = 1 and add this to the table we get a cartesian product of all project names, and a 1 on each row. Does anyone understand why this happens? 

Cartesian product resultCartesian product result

Thanks! 

-Nils

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tamerj1
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

When you add columns from multiple tables to a visual, Power Bi creates a crossjoin of these columns producing all possible combinations but hideing the non-existing combinations. By returning  a constat as a value you are forcing it to show all the combinations even if they don't exist. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Tamerj1, 

Thanks for replying! 

If that's the case, how would I then prevent this from happening? Is there any way to detect that it's a non-existing combination (or is there a Power BI setting that let's me always hide non-existing combinations?)

@Anonymous 

You can use

IF ( NOT ISEMPTY ( TableName ), 1 )

Can I ask a follow-up question about your solution, please?

What is TableName?

@chuckbo 

The name of you fact table

tamerj1
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

When you add columns from multiple tables to a visual, Power Bi creates a crossjoin of these columns producing all possible combinations but hideing the non-existing combinations. By returning  a constat as a value you are forcing it to show all the combinations even if they don't exist. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.