Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nightfall
Helper I
Helper I

DATEADD and end of the month

Hi all,

new day new silly question.

I have a table showing the value of a given account at the end of each month. So for each account there is a value on the 31 of January, on the 28 of February and so on.

nightfall_0-1629638691063.png

I wanted to create a measure that changes the filter context for the date to the next month, so that on february 28 will be shown the value of jan 31, and so on.

I thought that merely using this code would be enough,

CALCULATE(
    [Budget con pesi],
    DATEADD(
        'Calendar'[Date],
        MONTH
    )
)

however, the output is not what i expected:

nightfall_1-1629638779183.png

In the documentation, it is stated that

• The result table includes only dates that exist in the dates column.

• If the dates in the current context do not form a contiguous interval, the function returns an error.

However, the dates column is the usual calendar table. is it because the dates in the fact table are not contiguous in the interval?

Do you have any hints on how to solve this issue?

Thank you and best regards,

Vittorio

13 REPLIES 13
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@nightfall I would use EOMONTH instead of DATEADD. This is why I don't recommend TI functions.

You may find this helpful - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/To-bleep-With-Time-Intelligence/ba-p/1260000

Also, see if my Time Intelligence the Hard Way provides a different way of accomplishing what you are going for.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Time-Intelligence-quot-The-Hard-Way-quot-TIT...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler thank you for you input.

I was actually looking into the possibility of using EOMONTH, however i would appreciate to know the reson of this outcome.. do you have an hint on why technically this happens? 

Thank you and best regards,

Vittorio

@nightfall Given the complexity and nuance of DATEADD, it is difficult to say exactly. I would need your data and data model to replicate and see what is going wrong. Again, I would stick to using EOMONTH to grab your max date. Then just FILTER between the dates you want.

Latest book!:

Hi @Greg_Deckler 

Where is the mistake or the difference between the 2 ways that would pushe not to recommend TI Functions!!

aj1973_0-1629644638375.png

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

@aj1973 You must have not read this one: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/To-bleep-With-Time-Intelligence/ba-p/1260000

Latest book!:

No I haven't, I was just an end user who clicked on filters in a report built by a developer to viusalize the difference. No difference at all.

If you don't have time to explain with 2 words thats fine, but I wouldn't think it wise to ask the end user to read 2 pages to understand a thing that he can't see or feel.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

@aj1973 Two words "TI bad". Bottom line, there is nothing that TI functions do that can't be done using other DAX functions. The things that TI functions do are strange in many respects and it is easy to use them incorrectly and get weird results. So, stick to basic DAX equivalents that don't produce strange results like TI functions often do. Easier to understand and debug. And all of the equivalents for every TI function are included in the link, including just how bizarre DATEADD can be. Control your code, don't let your code control you.

Latest book!:

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @nightfall 

The end of month column, add it to the calendar table instead of your fact table then use the column in the visual. It should then work.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

hello @aj1973  thank you for you inputs.

Would you mind elaborating your suggestion? I am a bit slow 😞

why the relationship existing between the column in the fact table and the calendar table is not enough?

Thank you again!

Best regards,

Vittorio

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

@nightfall 

I didn't say that the relationship is not enough, the relationship must exist.

DATEADD is a Time Intelligence function, therefore a date table is mandatory in the model especially when the date column in the fact table is left with Gaps, like yours. So in order to get accurate values with Time intelligence functions you need to add a calendar tabel, add all columns that you need for your calculations, and use the calendar fields in the visuals. 

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Thank you for your explanation.

Do you mean that i should add to the calendar table a new column including only the dates 31/1/2022, 28/2/2022, ... ??

Because all these dates are already present in the relevant calendar column! Do you have any idea on why using the "usual" relationship ends up in this mismatch?

Thank you! 

VIttorio

nightfall
Helper I
Helper I

Hello @Anonymous 

thank you for your prompt reply.

The calendar is correctly marked.

Putting as date in the fact table the first day of the month works, however i preferred to keep the last day of the month for visualisation and for logical reason (it's representing the total of the current month, so it should be at the end of the month).

Would you mind explaining what do you mean with "filtering only by month"?

Thank you again,

Vittorio

Anonymous
Not applicable

Double check your calendar is marked as date table. Then check if filtering only by month does the trick. If nothing works try moving the date to the first day of the month, then jumping one month, then going again to the end of the month

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.