Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ingrid
Helper II
Helper II

Custom column with date

Hello, 

I have a table with a field that populated with the date '31-12-9999' when it's actualty empyt. There's also an integer field with the value -99999999 (or de the date for exampl 20180917, if it's available).

I'm trying to create an custom column with no date if the value of the integer field is -99999999 and the date if there is an onther value in the field. I've tryed in several ways, but till now without result. I hope someone can help me.

Kolom = IF(DimDatumEinde[DatumGetal] = -99999999 ; "0"; DATEVALUE(DimDatumEinde[Datum einde]))

The error I get is: Expressions that yield variant data-type cannot be used to define calculated columns.

Regards, 
Ingrid

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I've found the BLANK() function and that works.

Sorry, I'm a newbie so still searching and learning.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Try 0 instead of "0".

That will prevent the error.  The error is caused because the calculated column can't have values that are text or datetime (in the same column)

Thanks for your reply.

That does indeed prevent the error, but what I actually want is that the column is empty (in stead of 0). 

How can I get that working?

I've found the BLANK() function and that works.

Sorry, I'm a newbie so still searching and learning.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.