Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sneha_thakur
Frequent Visitor

Custom Connector data storage capacity

How far back do custom connectors store data usually? There are storage limits based on which Power BI tier & How much data can we store in different Power Bi tier ?

4 REPLIES 4
SanikaT
Helper I
Helper I

Hello,

In Power BI the data gets stored in Power BI Service, hosted on Microsoft Azure. Data storage depends upon the type of license you have.

For example, with a Power BI Free license, you can store up to 1 GB of data in the cloud-based service.
With a Power BI Pro license, you can store up to 10 GB of data.
And with a Power BI Premium license, you can store up to hundreds of terabytes of data.

If you exceed your storage limit in Power BI, you will receive a notification indicating that you have reached your storage capacity. You will then need to either delete some of your existing data or purchase additional storage capacity in order to continue using Power BI.

When you reach your storage limit, the old data will not be automatically replaced by new data. Instead, you will need to manually delete some of your existing data to make room for new data. You can do this by deleting individual reports, datasets, or data sources, or by deleting entire workspaces that contain multiple reports and datasets.

Thanks for the reply, To capture changes to data, does the connector auto-requery/re-sync or is there a manual refresh feature in Power BI? Also how can I refresh through Visual Studio. 

SanikaT
Helper I
Helper I

Hello,

1. The amount of data that custom connectors can store and the length of time they retain that data depend on several factors, including the type of connector and the Power BI tier you're using.
  2. In general, custom connectors do not store data on their own; they are designed to connect to external data sources and retrieve data on demand. Any data that is retrieved is typically stored in a Power BI dataset, which has its own limits based on the Power BI tier you're using.

Storage limits for different Power BI tiers as of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021:

• Power BI Free: 1 GB per user
  • Power BI Pro: 10 GB per user, shared capacity
  • Power BI Premium (Per User): 100 GB per user, dedicated capacity
  • Power BI Premium (Capacity-based): 100 TB per capacity, shared capacity

Thanks for the reply, I have one doubt if you can help Till what time will the data be stored in Power Bi & if the storage capacity exceeds then do the old data get replace by new one or do we get any warning & it will stop storing data. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.