Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Creating unique value column based on two filters

Hello all!

I have what I believe to be a straight forward problem but really struggling with the solution.

I want to get the number of active (open) franchises in a region and create a new column with that information.  I can do this is Python relatively easy but I'm trying to do as much in PowerBI/DAX as I can. So for example, a sample table (Table1) is below:

RegionFranchise #Open
New England111Yes
Arkoma211Yes
Magnolia311No
Magnolia312Yes
New England112No
Arkoma212Yes
Arkoma213No
Arkoma214Yes
New England113No
Magnolia313Yes

I have another table that has as many rows as their are regions - in this case lets assume I have the three regions listed. So what I want to do is filter based on the unique regions and then count the number of entries in that filtered region that are == "Yes".  (Get the number of active franchises in each region).

ActiveFranchisesPerRegion = CALCULATE(COUNTA('Table1'[Open]), FILTER('Table1', DISTINCT('Table1'[Region]) ))

However I'm getting the error: 'A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected'.  I'm not surprised to get the error as I know the code and filters are not right.  

My expected result would be:

RegionActiveFranchisesPerRegion
New England1
Arkoma3
Magnolia2

Can anyone help to set up my filters/code in the right way to help address this problem?

fdasfasf

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

1. Place Table1[Region] in the rows of a table visual

2. CREATE this measure and place it in the visual

Measure = CALCULATE( DISTINCTCOUNT( Table1[Franchise #] ), Table1[Open] = "Yes")

Please mark the question solved when we get to the solution and consider kudoing if posts are helpful.

Cheers  Datanaut

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

1. Place Table1[Region] in the rows of a table visual

2. CREATE this measure and place it in the visual

Measure = CALCULATE( DISTINCTCOUNT( Table1[Franchise #] ), Table1[Open] = "Yes")

Please mark the question solved when we get to the solution and consider kudoing if posts are helpful.

Cheers  Datanaut

Anonymous
Not applicable

Perfect.  I knew it was simple, just needed som help.

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.