Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Creating a Combo chart in Power BI

Hello,

Hello all!

New PowerBI user here. I have always created my reports in Excel. 

I am trying to recreate the below viz in Power BI. I've tried using the Line and clustered column chart but I cannot make the line display the dates as shown in the screenshot below.

The data below is just a chunk of the data that I am working on and am hoping to create a condition based on timeline for PBI to automatically pull data for # columns for next 6 months or the 6-12 months after that and so on.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Best,

PBINooB

ulpalaa_0-1633467047276.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

You can get close but it seems that the chart doesn't like to use dates other than on the x-axis so you have to convert them to some numeric type.

AlexisOlson_0-1633468964823.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

To my knowledge, currently the Y-Axis only allows for aggregates of number values ,Date type values are not available.

Below are serveral submitted ideas, you could vote them up and add comments:

dates and times on the y-axis of a graph

Add feature to display time on Y axis to compare against Date on X axis

As a workaround , you could apply Date to Tooltips or as @AlexisOlson mentioned, change the Date to Number type.

Eyelyn9_0-1634108857288.png

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

You can get close but it seems that the chart doesn't like to use dates other than on the x-axis so you have to convert them to some numeric type.

AlexisOlson_0-1633468964823.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

This looks great Alexis! Could you please share how to do this?

I used INT ( MAX ( Data[Date] ) ) for the line measure definition.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Could you share a screenshot? I only have drag and drop fields when trying to modify a "line and clustered column chart"

You need to define a measure to use for the date (use the DAX I mentioned previously to define it).

AlexisOlson_0-1633547004169.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.