Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jeronimo2334
Helper III
Helper III

Create new table applying cartesian logic

Hello all, I have 3 tables, 2 of them are dimensional:

DIM TABLE - EXAMS

exam1
exam2
exam3

DIM TABLE - STUDENTS

student1
student2
student3

FACT TABLE - RESULTS

exam2student1fail
exam2student1pass
exam3student1pass
exam1student2fail
exam2student2pass
exam2student3pass
exam3student3pass

I am trying to get a new table combining all these tables, it needs a row for each exam and each student and whether they pass, failed or not taken then exam.
Note, student1 failed exam2 on the 1st row, but then passed it on the 2nd row. The expected table should only show the passed result.

EXPECTED TABLE

exam1student1not taken
exam2student1pass
exam3student1pass
exam1student2fail
exam2student2pass
exam3student2not taken
exam1student3not taken
exam2student3pass
exam3student3pass

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@jeronimo2334  Updated to meet that additional requirement

Place the following M code in a blank query to see the steps for your expected table. 

See it all at work in the attached file.

let
    Source = ExamsT,
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each StudentsT),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", {"Student"}, {"Student"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Custom",{{"Student", type text}}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type", {"Exam", "Student"}, ResultsT, {"Exam", "Student"}, "ResultsT", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded ResultsT" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "ResultsT", {"Result"}, {"Result"}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Expanded ResultsT",null,"Not taken",Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Result"}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Buffer(Table.Sort(#"Replaced Value",{{"Exam", Order.Ascending}, {"Student", Order.Ascending}, {"Result", Order.Descending}})),
    #"Removed Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(#"Sorted Rows", {"Exam", "Student"})
in
    #"Removed Duplicates"

AlB_0-1671827317268.png

Please accept the solution when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful. 

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @jeronimo2334 

Place the following M code in a blank query to see the steps for your expected table. 

let
    Source = ExamsT,
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", {"Student"}, {"Student"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Custom",{{"Student", type text}}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type", {"Exam", "Student"}, ResultsT, {"Exam", "Student"}, "ResultsT", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded ResultsT" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "ResultsT", {"Result"}, {"Result"}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Expanded ResultsT",null,"Not taken",Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Result"})
in
    #"Replaced Value"

SU18_powerbi_badge

Please accept the solution when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful. 

Thank you! That is almost the expected result. I edited my post, adding a small gotcha.
Issue being, a student can have multiple entries in the Results table, with a fail and a pass grade. The expected table should show only the pass if there is a case of multiple results. It should only show the fail result if there is no pass result.

Simple enough

CNENFRNL_0-1671832806540.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

@jeronimo2334

Can the results only be pass or fail?

SU18_powerbi_badge

Correct.

@jeronimo2334  Updated to meet that additional requirement

let
    Source = ExamsT,
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Expanded ResultsT",null,"Not taken",Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Result"}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Buffer(Table.Sort(#"Replaced Value",{{"Exam", Order.Ascending}, {"Student", Order.Ascending}, {"Result", Order.Descending}})),
    #"Removed Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(#"Sorted Rows", {"Exam", "Student"})
in
    #"Removed Duplicates"

AlB_0-1671827317268.png

Thank you that worked. The pbix seems to be from some other post but the M query is right.

@jeronimo2334 

Corrected the pbix

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.