Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Create columns in a list

I have a query that comes from multiple databases with many columns each.

From the query I want to extract 10 columns (number of projects)

The problem is that in the future there will be more projects, therefore more columns that interest me.

I have these projects on a list, which will be increased as there are more projects.

Is there a possibility to expand columns using only the names that appear in the list?

Thanks a lot!

3 REPLIES 3
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

I understand that what I'm asking for can't be done with Power BI, right?

The problem comes from the database, which is a database in matrix format (I can't change it) and above it's a range and not a table (I can't change it either):

LEJ_0-1653919131299.png

This is a record of hours and each column is a "task".

Before depivotizing, I have to select which columns I do not want to use (which are many). But in the future, when I create new tasks, I do not want to be changing the report.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Of course.

On the one hand I have a query with many columns, most of them do not serve me. When it comes to expanding the query, I could filter only by the ones I need, but in the future I will need other new columns, so in order for them to appear in the report, I would need to go back to the transformer and select the new columns:

LEJ_2-1653660215106.png

On the other hand I have a list with the columns I need. In the future, when there are new projects, I will include them in this list:

LEJ_3-1653660372856.png

I would like, that when expanding I only take the columns that match the names of the list. It's possible?

Thanks a lot!

This would be the list

amirabedhiafi
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Can you please provide a detailed example with the input and the expected output ?

Amira Bedhiafi
Full Stack Business Intelligence Consultant @Capgemini

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.