Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LinhNguyen
Helper II
Helper II

Create a search box across multiple fields

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a way to create a search box that can search through multiple fields. (as in the image below). So far I've tried the text filter and filter by list but both only let me search for values in one field.

Is there any way I can have a search box like this in PowerBI? This will give users the flexibility to filter by any field they want and not just the few slicers I put in the dashboard.

Thank you!

search box.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @LinhNguyen ,

I got finally what you were aksing for. Please use the Custom visual "HierarchySlicer" from market place. And Create you own hierarchy like I created for testing purpose on Date - Year-->Quarter -->Month-->Day. Screen shot is attached for your reference.

Please give Kudos and also accept this as a solution.Capture2.JPG

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
dabresalier

I used the technique in the link below to create a table that contains a selection value and another field that has a combination of the values.

Creating a slicer that filters multiple columns in Power BI - SQLBI

I hope this helps someone.

DavidSalas

I am not too keen about the use of a hierarchical slicer for this. 

I think the best way to accomplish this is to use the Search Text Visual against a computed column that concatenates all the columns that you want to include in the search. Your results will then be filtered by whichever match is made against this column. Unless you are using DirectQuery, you can create this column directly from Power BI. Alternatively you can create this column directly on your data source and expose it to Power BI.

Tahreem24
Super User
Super User

You can use the custom visual namely "Search Text".

Please give Kudos and accept this as a solution if it helps.
Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard

Hi @Tahreem24 

Is that custom visual in the PowerBI marketplace? I searched for it but only found Text Filter. I have tried that one before and it only allow searching through one field.

Yeah, it is Text filter. But you can only mapped single column name. Else you need to take multiple text filter and mapped to other columns one at a time.

Thanks, but I'm looking for a way to create a search box that can search through multiple fields. I have a lot of data fields in that same report and slicers or single search fields will not be able to cover them all.

Hi @LinhNguyen ,

I am something closer what you are looking for. You can give a try to Custom visual "Power Slicer". Below is the screen shot. 

Capture.JPG

Hi @LinhNguyen ,

I got finally what you were aksing for. Please use the Custom visual "HierarchySlicer" from market place. And Create you own hierarchy like I created for testing purpose on Date - Year-->Quarter -->Month-->Day. Screen shot is attached for your reference.

Please give Kudos and also accept this as a solution.Capture2.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.