Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

jason_drummond

Cookie Blocker when querying a webpage

Hi all,

Looking for some help when trying to query a webpage. The following page Leagues | LTA - Tennis for Britain has cookie pop up that blocks access to the page. Trying to pull data from PowerBI desktop for my local team to enable scheduling of matches but can't seem to get past this. 

Have seen this post below but still can't get past the message:

https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Query/Bypass-cookies-consent-on-web-scraping/m-p/146...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jason

4 REPLIES 4
jason_drummond

Unfortunately after speaking to the website owner they do not offer API access. There seems to be a way to bypass cookies in the post I quoted in my original email. But it is beyond me how to do this for this site.

https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Query/Bypass-cookies-consent-on-web-scraping/m-p/146...

v-jtian-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,@jason_drummond ,
I am glad to help you.

According to your description, the cookie request popped up when you visited the target page

Here are my test results

The first time I visited the site, a cookie request appeared

like this:

vjtianmsft_0-1717146693398.png

I clicked “accept” and it worked fine.

The second time I visit it, I don't get a similar access request page.

vjtianmsft_1-1717146711408.png

I hope my suggestions give you good ideas, if you have any more questions, please clarify in a follow-up reply.

Best Regards,

Carson Jian,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately this doesn't work if I am trying to connect to the webpage from PowerBI Desktop. The cookie pop-up stops PowerBI from getting to any data and I need help in working out some way to bypass the cookie in the Power Query Advanced Editor. Thanks Jason

Hello,@jason_drummond 
Thank you for replay .
I am sorry that I didn't understand what you meant and gave wrong advice before.
For the idea that you want to jump the cookie block when fetching website data in power BI and you want to bypass the cookie limitation. I  suggest that you try using the API.

Please check if the website offers an API:
In general, most websites provide APIs for programmatically accessing their data. Using an API (if available) is a more reliable and ethical way of accessing the data you need, without having to deal with web crawling issues such as cookie consent. You can usually find information about available APIs in the footer or developer section of a website.
Here is the official documentation for APIs in the power BI .
url:Develop with the REST APIs for Power BI Report Server - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

I hope my suggestions give you good ideas, if you have any more questions, please clarify in a follow-up reply.

Best Regards,

Carson Jian,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabcon_Europe_Social_Bogo

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors