Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tallyski
Frequent Visitor

Convert One Row of Data into Multiple Rows

Hello, 

I've been working with Power Bi for a few months now; I have used the forums to find answers to my questions. Unfortunately, I have to make this post as I haven't been able to find a solution.

I am trying to convert data in the first table, to look like the data in the second table. Is it possible in Power BI?

id #nameSelect your top two key components for a successful teamSelect your top two key components for a successful teamSelect your top two key components for a successful teamSelect your top two key components for a successful teamName two states you have lived inName two states you have lived in
1FredCommunicationStrong Leadership  TXPA
2Mary Strong Leadership AccountabilityCOOK

id #nameSelect your top two key components for a successful teamName two States you have lived in
1FredCommunication 
1FredStrong Leadership 
1Fred TX
1Fred PA
2MaryStrong Leadership 
2MaryAccountability 
2Mary CO
2Mary OK

I have used DAX quite a bit, but unsure how or if this is possible. I have a much larger table of data to work with, but this is just a sample of the problem I am trying to solve.

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Tallyski ,

You can refer to the method in my reply in this topic.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/plot-graphs-with-multiple-dates/m-p/2224757#M811861 

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
jeroendekk
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

@Tallyski 
Based on your question it did not realize it were that many groups and column. Not sure if that will work. The formula's will change but I doubt this is- the best solution on this data size.

You could consider making 4 different query's one for each group. Unpivot that group.
Then Append All the groups into one query.

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

Best regards,
Jeroen

jeroendekk
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

@Tallyski 
There is a solution in Power Query, but it a few steps.

1. Select the 4  "Key components" columns and unpivot via the Transform tab.
2. Select the 2 "States"Columns and unpivot them as well.

3. Remove the attribute columns and

4. rename the value column 
Now you have a table but all the records are double.
image 1.jpg
5.Then add a custom column via the add column tab.

= if [Select your top two key components for a successful team] <> "" then null else [Value.1])

Name this new column "Name 2 states you lived in".
6. Remove the values.1 column
7. Remove the duplicates.

image2.jpg

The full M code here is

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUXIrSk0BUs75ubmleZnJiSWZ+XlAfnBJUX5euoJPamJKalFxRmYBUAyCQiKARICjUqxOtJIRkOmbWFQJkcGhxzE5Ob80ryQxKTMnswSk1NkfSPh7K8XGAgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"id #" = _t, name = _t, #"Select your top two key components for a successful team" = _t, #"Select your top two key components for a successful team.1" = _t, #"Select your top two key components for a successful team.2" = _t, #"Select your top two key components for a successful team.3" = _t, #"Name two states you have lived in" = _t, #"Name two states you have lived in.1" = _t]),
    Unpivoted1 = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(Source, {"id #", "name", "Name two states you have lived in", "Name two states you have lived in.1"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    Unpivoted2 = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(Unpivoted1, {"id #", "name", "Attribute", "Value"}, "Attribute.1", "Value.1"),
    Remove_attribut = Table.SelectColumns(Unpivoted2,{"id #", "name", "Value", "Value.1" }),
    Rename_value = Table.RenameColumns(Remove_attribut,{{"Value", "Select your top two key components for a successful team"}}),
    AddCustom = Table.AddColumn(Rename_value, "Name two states you have lived in", each if [Select your top two key components for a successful team] <> "" then null else [Value.1]),
    Remove_value1 = Table.RemoveColumns(AddCustom,{"Value.1"}),
    Removed_Duplicates = Table.Distinct(Remove_value1)
in
    Removed_Duplicates

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

Best regards,
Jeroen

Jeroen,

Thank you for you guidance on my request, but I feel I am doing something wrong.

I start with:

601 rows

78 columns

I need to unpivot 4 groups

1st = 13 columns

2nd = 14 columns

3rd = 6 columns

4th = 23 columns

Once I unpivot them I have over 15 million rows. I try to do the second part, but it doesn't delete and rows. I'm not quite sure what I am doing wrong.

I would appreciate any guidance.

= if [Select your top two key components for a successful team] <> "" then null else [Value.1])

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.