Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Continuous date hierarchy on x-axis of line chart

I have read a host of articles on this topic, but have yet to identify a clear answer in how to solution this.

How do I create a hierarchy - or even a month / quarter view - that remains a time series?

Essentially, I am currently using the default date hierarchy of Day, Month, Quarter, Year on my X-axis, and as I move through the hierarchy, Day, Month and Quarter get aggregated; So instead of having 2019 Q1, 2019 Q2, 2019 Q3, 2019 Q4, 2020 Q1..., etc., it aggregates all the Q1's, Q2's, etc...

If you need the sample file, here is the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yix9WVBmMgPhhyFowKDS4JigrGPEAluk/view?usp=sharing

Current (I don't want this):

Annotation 2020-09-03 203742.png

Objective (Preferably in a Hierarchy, but even just Qtr or Mnth would be nice):

2.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous - I don't know man, it works perfectly fine for me. See attached PBIX below sig for configuration of visual.

Greg_Deckler_0-1599190284344.png

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous - If I understand correctly, you would want to build the hiearchy from Year, Quarter, etc. and then use the forked drill down arroes, NOT the double parallel drill down arrows.

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler That is definitely closer to what I am looking for. The issue with that approach is that the x-axis labels dont adjust. So even if the chart reflects months, it still only shows the year in the axis. 

The larger part of my question is how do I create a time series chart for either month or quarter like in the image of my original question. I want the x-axis to reflect each quarter/month in a series of multiple years. It seems like a really obvious thing, so I am confused why PowerBI makes it so difficult.  

2.png

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , when you drag a date with Hierarchy or Year and Qtr on the visual on the axis. You will get drill down and drill expand icon. The reverse square Y. Try to use the expand icon

refer : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/consumer/end-user-drill

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak Sorry, but you have slightly misunderstood my question. My question is about having the hierarchy - or even just the Quarter or Date - be a CONTINUOUS timeseries that adjusts for each level. I don't want all the Q1's to aggregate, I want the axis to show 2019 Q1 and 2020 Q2 separate.

@Anonymous - I don't know man, it works perfectly fine for me. See attached PBIX below sig for configuration of visual.

Greg_Deckler_0-1599190284344.png

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler

I think I figured it out. To get mine to look like yours I had to turn my x-axis from continuous to categorical and turn off concatenate labels. Then it worked.

Thanks!

@Anonymous - Yes, that is how I did it as well. Cool, I figured it would be better to just ship it to you and let you compare settings as I was not quite certain how you had your visual configured. Now that you mention it, it's probably not super intuitive. Hmmm, maybe I've been doing this stuff for too long!! Anyway, hooray!

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.