Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cosmicyes
Helper II
Helper II

Constant Line in column chart does not work with measure using ISINSCOPE

I thought this would be easy but it isn´t 😉

I have a stacked column chart where you can drill up and down from date / week / month / year.
What I need is a constant line for showing a goal depending on if week or month... or whatever is chosen.

I have created a measure:

GOAL = 
SWITCH(
    TRUE(),
    ISINSCOPE(Kalender[Date]),10000,
    ISINSCOPE(Kalender[Week]), 50000,
    ISINSCOPE(Kalender[Month]), 200000,
    ISINSCOPE(Kalender[YEAR]),2400000
)

Then I created a Constant line and added the measure using the fx-icon
(Format style "Field value", What field should we base this on? "Goal")

The constant line appears but the value is always 0, no matter what I drill through.

Just to test my measure I have changed the visual to Line and stack column chart and used the measure for Y-Axis - there it works! But this is not what I want.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @cosmicyes ,

I don't mean for you to create a fixed line value. I just want to explain why the line always stays on 0, because constant line can't tell which level the X-axis is at. So, Line and stack column chart maybe the only way you can do it.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cosmicyes ,

Because for constant line, it can't tell which level the X-axis is at. If you add a ELSE value in the SWITCH formula, it can return that value like below.

vyanjiangmsft_0-1686209666287.png

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Dear @v-yanjiang-msft ,
thank you for your input.
But this way I always have the same constant line, no matter if week, month or whatever is selected. This is unfortunately not what I need.

Hi @cosmicyes ,

I don't mean for you to create a fixed line value. I just want to explain why the line always stays on 0, because constant line can't tell which level the X-axis is at. So, Line and stack column chart maybe the only way you can do it.

Best Regards,

Hi @v-yanjiang-msft 
ah, I see. There was some misunderstanding on my side 🙂
Thank you for your very quick reply and please excuse that it took me so long to reply on your first post.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.