Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

asad
Frequent Visitor

Connecting to Oracle Wallet folder

A client has shared a folder containing the following files:

1. cwallet.sso
  2. ewallet.p12
  3. keystroke.jks
  4. ojdbc.properties
  5. sqlnet.ora
  6. tnsnames.ora
  7. truestroke.jks

Supposedly I would be connecting to a db in the cloud. I dont know how to connect to this in Power BI. So far, I have installed Oracle database 19c. I am using the feb 2020 update of Power BI and am on Windows 10 Enterprise. I have bever used Oracle or any other sql servers or databases before. If someone could provide guidance in this regard, it will be highly appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
asad
Frequent Visitor

I figured it out and am going to write a step by step explanation to anyone who might find it useful in the future.

Step 1: Download the latest Oracle instant client from https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/instant-client/winx64-64-downloads.html

Step 2: Install/Extract the downloaded folder to C:\instantclient

Step 3: Add this location to Windows path (usually C:\instantclient\instantclient_19_5)

Step 4: Download and extract the wallet contents to /network/admin in the instant client folder

Step 5: Open the wallet file named tnsnames.ora in a text editor and note down the variable name such as db_high

Step 6: In Power BI navigate to Get Data --> Database --> Oracle

Step 7: In the field named server enter the variable name from step 5

Step 8: It will prompt for a username and password, enter each one as provided by owner of the wallet

Step 9: This should give you the database schema, select the desired table names and click transform/load

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
asad
Frequent Visitor

I figured it out and am going to write a step by step explanation to anyone who might find it useful in the future.

Step 1: Download the latest Oracle instant client from https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/instant-client/winx64-64-downloads.html

Step 2: Install/Extract the downloaded folder to C:\instantclient

Step 3: Add this location to Windows path (usually C:\instantclient\instantclient_19_5)

Step 4: Download and extract the wallet contents to /network/admin in the instant client folder

Step 5: Open the wallet file named tnsnames.ora in a text editor and note down the variable name such as db_high

Step 6: In Power BI navigate to Get Data --> Database --> Oracle

Step 7: In the field named server enter the variable name from step 5

Step 8: It will prompt for a username and password, enter each one as provided by owner of the wallet

Step 9: This should give you the database schema, select the desired table names and click transform/load

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

I don't even know what to put in any field. The installation process is very complicated. Apart from that, I cant understand where to find the server name. I have spent 5 hours looking at all of these posts on microsoft's pages, the pbi community and the oracle pages. I would appreciate a step by step process as I am very hard stuck. Thanks for the answer though

Hi @asad ,

Did you install your oracle and power bi desktop on the same machine? Please try to use localhost as your server name to have a check.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

And do I need to put all of the wallet files in a specific folder? How would power bi/ my pc know where to look for the wallet. I appreciate your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.