Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bsz412
Helper III
Helper III

Connecting to Azure Databricks

Hi experts, 

I am not too experienced with Power BI yet, and I am wondering what is the best way to set up connection between Azure Databricks and Power BI.

Shall I establish the connection in desktop, by choosing Azure Databricks when clicking add data? I guess import would be my best choice as daily datarefresh would be sufficient. What I am confused about is what happens if I import the data this way to desktop, I create the data model and the report, then I publish it to service. Do I schedule the daily refresh in service on the uploaded datamodel?

Or is it better to connect to databricks in PBI service, create a dataflow and import that dataflow to desktop? 

Also, I see there is a new connection method available now, by using Partner Connect. Any experience with that? 

thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @bsz412 

In the past, data was connected through Spark Connector, but now you can connect data directly through Azure Databricks Connector. When you publish to service, you only need to enter credentials to refresh data. 

vjaneygmsft_1-1644463907748.png

vjaneygmsft_2-1644463998900.png

Reference:

Connecting Power BI to Azure Databricks | Gerhard Brueckl on BI & Data (gbrueckl.at)

With Partner Connect, you can also connect to Databricks.

Check this: 

Announcing Power BI integration with Databricks Partner Connect | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsof...

Connect with Power BI Desktop by using Partner Connect

Did I answer your question? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
JavierC
Regular Visitor

Hi all,

I'm using PowerBI version 2.112.1161.0 32-bit (dicember 2022) and I don't have Databricks connector on the list. As far I read, this connector is in-built since version september 2020.

Does anyone have a clue about this issue?

v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @bsz412 

In the past, data was connected through Spark Connector, but now you can connect data directly through Azure Databricks Connector. When you publish to service, you only need to enter credentials to refresh data. 

vjaneygmsft_1-1644463907748.png

vjaneygmsft_2-1644463998900.png

Reference:

Connecting Power BI to Azure Databricks | Gerhard Brueckl on BI & Data (gbrueckl.at)

With Partner Connect, you can also connect to Databricks.

Check this: 

Announcing Power BI integration with Databricks Partner Connect | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsof...

Connect with Power BI Desktop by using Partner Connect

Did I answer your question? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey

Hello

​What is the best practice here -

1. To develop the reports by connecting to Databricks using individual PATs.

2. Then, after deploying the report to PowerBI service, change the data source credentials to point to the PAT of the Service Principal so data import is done based on defined schedule.

3. PowerBI report users then need not be having Databricks accounts as the underlying service principal is fetching data for them.

Is my understanding correct?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.