Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sandeepsingh
Frequent Visitor

Connect to Data Model in local .pbix file.

HI,

Can I connect to data model which is present in different .pbix file on the hard disk.
Note I have not published the report and do not intend to connect to published dataset but the data model present in .pbix file on local drive.

Further on the same vein, can I connect to power pivot data model present in excel file

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @sandeepsingh 

Yes, to connect to a dataset in a local PBIX (which must itself be open in Power BI Desktop):

1. Determine the port number of the dataset PBIX using DAX Studio for example.
  2. In a new PBIX, connect to Analysis Services with live connection, specifying localhost:port# as the database.

If you have an existing report connected to a published dataset, you can use the Hot Swap Report Connections tool to change the connection.

As far as Power Pivot, not sure off the top of my head, but I would imagine it's technically possible, given that DAX Studio and tools like Tableau can connect to Power Pivot data models. Will look into that, or someone else may know a convenient method.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
kondado
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi @OwenAuger ,

I just wanted to say a big thank you for the clear and concise tips in your reply. It's exactly what I needed. Also, Business Ops for PBI is like Microsoft Store for Power BI.

I wanted a way to locally connect all my "live reports" to the golden dataset to let Measure Killer check everything. Haven't done it yet, but with this, I'm a few steps closer.

Regards.

OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @sandeepsingh 

Yes, to connect to a dataset in a local PBIX (which must itself be open in Power BI Desktop):

1. Determine the port number of the dataset PBIX using DAX Studio for example.
  2. In a new PBIX, connect to Analysis Services with live connection, specifying localhost:port# as the database.

If you have an existing report connected to a published dataset, you can use the Hot Swap Report Connections tool to change the connection.

As far as Power Pivot, not sure off the top of my head, but I would imagine it's technically possible, given that DAX Studio and tools like Tableau can connect to Power Pivot data models. Will look into that, or someone else may know a convenient method.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.