Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JennyMilf
Frequent Visitor

Connect Oracle database - deprecate

Hello,

I am trying connect Oracle to Power BI desktop

I already installed Oracle Client provider, but I get a error like photo below. If anyone can help me? Thank you!

JennyMilf_0-1675332799105.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi , @JennyMilf 

First , you need to check the string connect text is right in configuration file "tnsnames.ora".

It is in directory: E:\app\client\adm.user\product\12.2.0\client_1\Network\Admin

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1675418330743.png

Then you can try to use the "DLPOracle" text to the "Server" input box to try to:

vyueyunzhmsft_1-1675418391067.png

Secondly , you can try to use this "ip:port/servername" in "Server" input box.

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
theov
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi there, check this out for oracle connection
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpeJrO5tHDc

Hi @JennyMilf 

I would suggest to try BI Publisher Connector instead of writing codes or using web connectors. Its the easiest way to directly connect Power BI to Oracle Fusion Cloud database (ERP, HCM, SCM, and CX). It also helps connect Power BI to the physical layers of OBIEE/OAC/OAS via OTBI data models and visualize data in minutes. No coding or excel extracts required.

BI Publisher Connector is compatible with both Power BI Desktop and Service and all editions including Pro and Premium. It doesnt store any data anywhere, ensuring secure data connection between Power BI and Oracle.

Benefits

Hassle-free one-time set up

Error-free reporting & data visualization
Automate in Power BI Service

Time and cost savings

Hope this was useful.

v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @JennyMilf 

According to your error prompt and my understanding, Power BI Desktop does not recognize the ODAC you installed.

As seached ,for how to configure the ODAC , you can refer to :
microsoft-powerbi-connection-adw.pdf (oracle.com)

Connect to an Oracle database with Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

powerbi-docs/desktop-connect-oracle-database.md at live · MicrosoftDocs/powerbi-docs · GitHub

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Thank you for your response! After I follow the step in these links, I get a new error like this ... 

JennyMilf_0-1675412337977.png

Hi , @JennyMilf 

As searched , you can try to :
1.LOCATE AND COPY THE ORAONS.dll FILE IN E:Oracle11gclientproduct12.2.0client_1 Install the power BI connection oracle plugin:

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1675414236506.png

2.Paste the oraons.dll file into the E:Oracle11gclientproduct12.2.0client_1bin directory

vyueyunzhmsft_1-1675414269509.png

You also can check if the solutions in the following similar threads help.

Solved: PowerBI desktop 64Bit oracle connection error Obj... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Solved: Re: PowerBI desktop 64Bit oracle connection error ... - Microsoft Power BI Community

powerbi - how to solve Object reference not set to an instance of an object in Power BI and the sour...

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

A new error after doing the reference you shared 😞 

JennyMilf_0-1675414143144.png

Hi , @JennyMilf 

This error usually occurs because the listener did not find the corresponding service_name, you can try to change your connection string, such as ip/database instance name and others different combinations to try to test it may connect (sorry for i have no environment to test it).

If this can not solve this problem , you can refer to :

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1675415061700.png

For more information, you can refer to :
.net - Oracle error: TNS: Listener was not given the SERVICE_NAME in CONNECT_DATA 1 - Stack Overflow

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

Thank you but I don't get it. What should I do now?

Hi , @JennyMilf 

First , you need to check the string connect text is right in configuration file "tnsnames.ora".

It is in directory: E:\app\client\adm.user\product\12.2.0\client_1\Network\Admin

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1675418330743.png

Then you can try to use the "DLPOracle" text to the "Server" input box to try to:

vyueyunzhmsft_1-1675418391067.png

Secondly , you can try to use this "ip:port/servername" in "Server" input box.

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

DvdH
Helper V
Helper V

Reinstalling newest version might help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.