Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

BiDesign

Conditional formatting not working after using calculation group authoring

Hi all,

I recently set up a calculation group using the Calculation group authoring preview feature.  Unfortunately, since doing this I've not been able to set any conditional formatting based on a field value.  The existing formatting persists, but I can't change that or add any new formatting.

BiDesign_0-1702571101325.png

What's more, even if I remove the calculation group, switch off the preview feature, and re-open Power BI I still can't do it.

Can anyone help?  I've tested with a completely blank report and it does exactly the same thing.

I'm using the Nov '23 release.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @BiDesign ,

As far as I know,  I can select it normally when the measure and calculation columns used for conditional formatting are in text format .

Measure =
IF(
    MAX('Table'[Value])>=4,"red","blue")

vyangliumsft_0-1702883648928.png

When the measure and calculation columns used for conditional formatting are in number or date format, nothing can be selected.

Measure =
IF(
    MAX('Table'[Value])>=4,1,0)

vyangliumsft_1-1702883648930.png

You can change the result to Text format, the Format() function does.

FORMAT function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Learn

Here are the restrictions associated with Conditional:

Apply conditional table formatting in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @BiDesign ,

As far as I know,  I can select it normally when the measure and calculation columns used for conditional formatting are in text format .

Measure =
IF(
    MAX('Table'[Value])>=4,"red","blue")

vyangliumsft_0-1702883648928.png

When the measure and calculation columns used for conditional formatting are in number or date format, nothing can be selected.

Measure =
IF(
    MAX('Table'[Value])>=4,1,0)

vyangliumsft_1-1702883648930.png

You can change the result to Text format, the Format() function does.

FORMAT function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Learn

Here are the restrictions associated with Conditional:

Apply conditional table formatting in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

BiDesign

For anyone interested, I didn't manage to fix this with the calculation group in place but I did manage to revert the model so that I could add conditional formatting back in.  I did this by removing the calculation group and then setting "Discourage Implicit Measures" to "False" in Tabular Editor as per the link below.

https://smootherconsulting.com/learn/power-bi-calculation-groups-and-implicit-measures#:~:text=Under....

(I don't know why this isn't an option you can set in Power BI Desktop).

Once I'd done that I had the ability to use conditional formatting as I could prior to using the calculation group.  I just created explicit measures to handle what the calculation group was doing.  Not quite as nice but it doesn't have any unexpected knock-on effect.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.