Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

chris_k
Helper I
Helper I

Complex Security Model

Hello,

Im trying to achive a slightly more complex security model than just a single filter.

The idea is to filter the table named "Security" using RLS with USERPRINCIPLANAME() to filter that table.

The security levels are 1 to 4 with 1 being the highest and 4 the lowest.

So:

• If a user has a level of 1 on a project they should see all sources that are tagged 1, 2, 3, or 4 but also be locked to only the projects they can see.
  • If a user is a 2 then they shouldnt be able to see any data that is tagged with a level on 1.

I have attached a link to an example file that works perfect for just the single project level filtering but I need to involve the security columns too. 

Example.pbix

Can anyone offer any advice on how this could be done?

1 REPLY 1
sturlaws
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

securityModell.PNG

Hi Chris_k, you could try to split up your security table in to parts, one  cointaining the project a user is entitled to see and one with the security level of the users for each project. 

In the security level table, create a new column which is a combination of project and security level, projectSecLvl. Create the same column in table 1 and table 2. Add many-to-many filters between security level table and table 1 and table 2, with filter direction from securityLevel to table1/table2.

Add filter in the manage role window on both security and securityLevel where email=userprincipalname().

It works with the simple example file you provided, but I have not tested it for larger data sets so not sure if that works. 

Your sample file does not contain any examples of the type security level 1 should see all other levels. A way to solve this could be to add all the levels for a user in the security level  table. E.g. if user1 has security level 1 = 1 on project X7, then add rows to the security level table for user 1 for project X7 level 2,3 and 4.

regards,
Sturla

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.