Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ben_langley
Frequent Visitor

Combining tables based on #shared output

Hi all,

I'm trying to combine tables in a Power BI query based on the table name, only combining them if they are marked with a special character, in this case "*". I'm attempting to do this by getting the list of tables from the "#shared" context, adding a column to identify the source table, then combining them. This works within the Power Query editor, but when applied to Power BI the import fails with an ODBC error as the table objects that were in the #shared record are now null entries.

Combined Tables Query:

let
    Source = #shared,
    #"toTable" = Record.ToTable(Source),
    #"selectRows" = Table.SelectRows(#"toTable", each Text.Contains([Name], "*")),
    #"addColumn" = Table.AddColumn(selectRows, "table", each addTable([Name], [Value])),
    #"combinedTables" = Table.Combine(Table.Column(#"addColumn", "table"))
in
    #"combinedTables"

addTable:

let 
    addTable = (name, value) => Table.AddColumn(value, "table", each stripEnd(name,1))

in
    addTable

stripEnd

let
    stripEnd = (name, strip) => Text.RemoveRange(name, Text.Length(name)-strip, strip)
in
    stripEnd

Test1*

NameValue
SpamEggs

Test2*

NameValue
FooBar

Power Query Output:

NameValuetable
SpamEggsTest1
FooBarTest2

Power BI Error

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'OLE DB or ODBC error: [Expression.Error] We cannot convert the value null to type Table..
'.

Does any one know if this is possible to do within Power BI? Is there something I'm missing? I don't understand why it works successfully within the Power Query editor but then fails on import to Power BI.

Thanks,

Ben

2 REPLIES 2
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

its actually difficult to know without seeing your data

but from what is saying i would replace your null value with a dummy value, cleary you you have column that has null values pad those with "unknown" or if a number -1 or 99 anything that would not be present in that

data.  you will need to do this before your operations above

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi Vanessa, thanks for replying. The issue also happens with the test example I've shown in the post. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Users online (502)