Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II
Advocate II

Column name change in dataset breaks dependent report files

Hey All,

just seeing if anyone has a good solution for the problem that when you have 1 powerBI file that serves as the dataset, and you connect another to use as a report, changing the column name in the dataset breaks all the visuals in the report file.

So I have 1 file in the service, called the Master File. It contains my data model and all my data.

I have a report file I have opened locally, which uses the master file in the service as its dataset.

When I now create a visual in the report file, everything works just fine.

Then I change the name of one of the columns in the master file.

When I now look at the report file, the visual is broken, because it cannot find the original column.

It makes a lot of sense, but I was wondering how people generally deal with this issue. Sometimes I realise my column name wasn't the right one, but now I dont dare to change it, knowing I will break many reports that rely on the master file.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II
Advocate II

This blog post actually describes how you can alleviate this problem by opening the powerBI zip file and making text edits top the layout file:

https://data-goblins.com/power-bi/replace-report-measures

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II
Advocate II

This blog post actually describes how you can alleviate this problem by opening the powerBI zip file and making text edits top the layout file:

https://data-goblins.com/power-bi/replace-report-measures

bdarbo78
Frequent Visitor

Another way to modify the displayed name of fields without modifying the technical name is to use translations. You will however need to use a 3rd party tool such as Tabular Editor to do that.
This is particularly useful if you have many reports connected to the same data set.
Check this page

Oh I like that. I might end up using translations anyway, so this might be a nice method to still be able to mass alter visuals without having to rename them manually everywhere...

jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II
Advocate II

Ah so I basically treat the master dataset as a sort of immutable database.

I was just checking the report/layout file inside a pbix, I do see the names of the fields used in there. Any chance I can do a mass replace action in there, save, turn back into a pbix and it to still work? Or am I dreaming? 😄 

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@jaap_olsthoorn So generally you just rename the column in the Visual's field well in reports if you need a different name. As you indicated, changing the name in the original dataset is not a good idea and will cause problems.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.