Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

niemis
Frequent Visitor

Color the Row titles based off a specific field

I created a matrix table in power bi desktop.  In my Rows, I have text 'Tier x', for Tiers 1, 2 and 3.  Beneath each Tier is a specific application.  I want to change the color of the application name, in the row, to reflect whether or not it is Tier 1, 2 or 3.  

My column values are colored - based on conditional formatting.  Is there a way to color the fields under the Tiers?  For example, Tier 1 apps would be green, Tier 2 apps would be yellow, etc. 

niemis_1-1687372846913.png

I'm still a beginner, but am happy learning 🙂  Thank you for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @niemis 
Conditional formatting is functionality that applies only to values and totals.
Furthermore, the headings of rows cannot be separated into different colors.
Alternatively, you can build a measure to give a category, add it to the matrix, and then apply conditional formatting to it.

Ritaf1983_0-1687744383201.png

If this helps the steps you can follow:

1. create measure :

subCatvalue = if(ISFILTERED('Table'[SubCat]), SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[SubCat]),"")
2. put it as value to the matrix
Ritaf1983_1-1687744514555.png

3. Format it based on first level category

Ritaf1983_2-1687744581317.png

Link to a sample file 

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
niemis
Frequent Visitor

Thank you @Ritaf1983.  I don't know that this would work.  I may not have explained what I needed very well.  Here's a larger screenshot.  I need to remove the row sub titles 'Tier x' and I was trying to color code the data underneath those titles.  So anything under a Tier 2 row heading would be green, Tier 3 would be yellow, etc.  

As you can see I've got conditional formatting on the columns.  I'm just baffled at what to do with the rows.  Thank you. 

niemis_0-1687869916266.png

Hi @niemis 
As I mentioned previously, there is no option to customize the color for row categories.
If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @niemis 
Conditional formatting is functionality that applies only to values and totals.
Furthermore, the headings of rows cannot be separated into different colors.
Alternatively, you can build a measure to give a category, add it to the matrix, and then apply conditional formatting to it.

Ritaf1983_0-1687744383201.png

If this helps the steps you can follow:

1. create measure :

subCatvalue = if(ISFILTERED('Table'[SubCat]), SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[SubCat]),"")
2. put it as value to the matrix
Ritaf1983_1-1687744514555.png

3. Format it based on first level category

Ritaf1983_2-1687744581317.png

Link to a sample file 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.