Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

admin_xlsior
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Change data source for all tables

Hi guys,

How to quickly change Data Source for all tables at one go ?

I found some reference saying we go to File > Option & Setting >Data Source Setting, select the data source we want to connect and right click -> Change Data Source. ? I don't have "right click and change data source"

I can see button Change source down below (not right click), and it is disabled.

Even, a first, I cannot see other Data source that I've been using all this time, unless swicth to Global permission, but there is no button Change source over there. I need to go to Edit Query adn change at least one table in order to have the Data source I want to appear in Data Source in current file. But still button Change Source is disabled for the new data source (my data source)

So, currently I need to go to Edit Query, and go to Source, one by one and change the server and database. It is very tedious.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @admin_xlsior ,

Normally, there is no change data source option for the data source under Global Permission.

Do you see this for your client pbix?

Capture.PNG

If you have the same scenario like above, I'm afraid the data source is created by Enter Data in Power BI so you cannot see it. However, you could see it in Edit Queries >>Advanced Editor.

You could change the data source in Advanced Editor manually. Please note if you want to change the data source, you'd better check if the tables format(e.g. column name,column type, numbers of columns) are same. If the tables format are different, it will return errors.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @admin_xlsior ,

Normally, if you go to Data source setting, we could see the data source for the current file, if you want to see other data source you used to connected, you could swicth to Global permission.

In addition, I cannot reproduce your issue by my tests with the latest version of power bi desktop. Please check if you have installed the latest one firstly 2.70.5494.562.

How many data sources do you connect for the pbix? 

Besides, do you have this issue for your own pbix or the shared pbix?

If it is convenient, could you share some screenshots to describe your issue in more details?

Best  Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Cherry,

It is last month edition -> 2.69.5467.2151 64-bit (May 2019)

Yes, I do look into Global Permission since I didn't see my data source with option Data source in this file. (I get the PBIX from my client). As mentioned, I can see it in Global Permission, but there is no button Change Source in below bar, nor if I right click.

image.png

Thanks,

Hi @admin_xlsior ,

Normally, there is no change data source option for the data source under Global Permission.

Do you see this for your client pbix?

Capture.PNG

If you have the same scenario like above, I'm afraid the data source is created by Enter Data in Power BI so you cannot see it. However, you could see it in Edit Queries >>Advanced Editor.

You could change the data source in Advanced Editor manually. Please note if you want to change the data source, you'd better check if the tables format(e.g. column name,column type, numbers of columns) are same. If the tables format are different, it will return errors.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Hi Cherry,

I am not sure the question was fully answered.  When changing the data source from Advanced Editor, is there a way to change the data source for all tables at once rather than having to do one table at a time?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.