Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Believer
Advocate III
Advocate III

Cannot convert from DirectQuery to Import mode

I am running desktop version 2.110.1161.0 (October 2022).  I want to switch my report from DirectQuery mode to Import mode.  When I am in Model view and I click a table, the Advanced section is not appearing in Properties.  I have also tried this with a brand new report connected to a single table via DirectQuery.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi , @Believer 

According to your description, your current situation cannot be converted to import mode.

The reason is because the connection mode used when connecting to datasets in Power Bi Desktop is Live Connection.

If we are currently connected to a data source, and when we connect to the dataset, the system will be prompted to change the Live Connection mode to Direct Query mode by default.

This is a new feature that allows us to connect to other data sources in Live Connection mode.

For more information, you can refer to :

Using DirectQuery for datasets and Analysis Services (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Connect to datasets in the Power BI service from Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

And for this function, after converting the Live Connction mode to the Direct Query mode, we can no longer convert the Direct Query mode to the Import mode.

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Believer
Advocate III
Advocate III

@johncolley , @v-yueyunzh-msft I do not see that message at the bottom of the screen.  Starting from a new report, Get Data, Connect to dataset, then I see this message: "Connected live to the Power BI dataset: <dataset name> in <workspace name>.  Make changes to this model."  The last part is blue and clickable.  Before I click it, on the Model tab, the Properties pane is disabled for all tables.  After I click it to add a local model, the message changes to "Storage Mode: DirectQuery".  In the Model tab the Properties pane is enabled, but no Advanced section.

Hi , @Believer 

According to your description, your current situation cannot be converted to import mode.

The reason is because the connection mode used when connecting to datasets in Power Bi Desktop is Live Connection.

If we are currently connected to a data source, and when we connect to the dataset, the system will be prompted to change the Live Connection mode to Direct Query mode by default.

This is a new feature that allows us to connect to other data sources in Live Connection mode.

For more information, you can refer to :

Using DirectQuery for datasets and Analysis Services (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Connect to datasets in the Power BI service from Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

And for this function, after converting the Live Connction mode to the Direct Query mode, we can no longer convert the Direct Query mode to the Import mode.

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @Believer 

If you're connected by Direct Query, you'll see the message "DirectQuery: Enabled (Click to Change)" in the status bar at the bottom right hand screen on Power BI Desktop:

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1667957057523.png

Second, if you switch from Live Connection to Direct Query mode, you can't convert to Import mode.

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

johncolley
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Believer, Strange that the advanced option isn't showing up there. Can you see this option along the bottom of your PBI Desktop window? And what is the data source type?

johncolley_0-1667952910855.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.