Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Heymm

Can I delete source data and add new data?

My dashboard is linking to exce file, and then I published the report to SharePoint page. My source data is pulled from dataverse by Power Automate. So the data will be delete and add again every month. In this case, how to make sure my report won't be break?

If can't do in this way, any suggestions? 
Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-heq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Heymm ,

Based on your description, you are utilizing Power Automate to extract data from Dataverse into an Excel file, which is then used as the source for Power BI reports.
First, instead of linking the Excel file directly to the report, you can use Power BI Data Flow to import the data into Power BI. The data flow can be refreshed automatically and changes in the data can be handled seamlessly. This approach provides greater flexibility and stability by separating source data management from reporting.
Next, make sure that the dataset in Power BI is set to automatically refresh after the Power Automate stream is run. This will update your reports with the latest data. You can configure the refresh frequency and timing to match your data update schedule.
Finally, since the data changes on a monthly basis, consider maintaining backups of the source data (Excel files) and Power BI reports.SharePoint and OneDrive offer version control features that can be useful when you need to revert to a previous state.

You can refer to these connections for more operational details
Dataflows best practices - Power BI | Microsoft Learn
Refresh a semantic model from OneDrive or SharePoint Online - Power BI | Microsoft Learn
Use record versioning in SharePoint or OneDrive | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,
Albert He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-heq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Heymm ,

Based on your description, you are utilizing Power Automate to extract data from Dataverse into an Excel file, which is then used as the source for Power BI reports.
First, instead of linking the Excel file directly to the report, you can use Power BI Data Flow to import the data into Power BI. The data flow can be refreshed automatically and changes in the data can be handled seamlessly. This approach provides greater flexibility and stability by separating source data management from reporting.
Next, make sure that the dataset in Power BI is set to automatically refresh after the Power Automate stream is run. This will update your reports with the latest data. You can configure the refresh frequency and timing to match your data update schedule.
Finally, since the data changes on a monthly basis, consider maintaining backups of the source data (Excel files) and Power BI reports.SharePoint and OneDrive offer version control features that can be useful when you need to revert to a previous state.

You can refer to these connections for more operational details
Dataflows best practices - Power BI | Microsoft Learn
Refresh a semantic model from OneDrive or SharePoint Online - Power BI | Microsoft Learn
Use record versioning in SharePoint or OneDrive | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,
Albert He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.