Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nishthabhakta
Regular Visitor

Calculation for quarters

I am trying to get numbers for quarters. I have a column that undicates return ratios. Return Ratio=Return Items/Originated Items.

I have made a new column named 'Column' to get row wise return ratios. However now I want quarter calculation but Power BI is summing up for months. How to get quarter calculation.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nishthabhakta
Regular Visitor

Hi @Greg_Deckler ! I was able to solve the problem. I made a new measure with following formula :

Quarterly Average = CALCULATE(SUM('April 2021'[ReturnItem])/SUM('April 2021'[Originated])*100,ALLEXCEPT('April 2021','April 2021'[Date].[Quarter],'April 2021'[Date].[Year],'April 2021'[ProgramName],'April 2021'[ReturnItem],'April 2021'[Originated])) 
The above formula's output is as expected. I checked with calculating manually

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
nishthabhakta
Regular Visitor

Hi @Greg_Deckler ! I was able to solve the problem. I made a new measure with following formula :

Quarterly Average = CALCULATE(SUM('April 2021'[ReturnItem])/SUM('April 2021'[Originated])*100,ALLEXCEPT('April 2021','April 2021'[Date].[Quarter],'April 2021'[Date].[Year],'April 2021'[ProgramName],'April 2021'[ReturnItem],'April 2021'[Originated])) 
The above formula's output is as expected. I checked with calculating manually
nishthabhakta
Regular Visitor

Quarter Ratio Column =
  VAR __Year = 'Return Ratio'[Date].[Date]
  VAR __Quarter = QUARTER([Date].[Date])
  VAR __Table = FILTER('Return Ratio',YEAR([Date])=__Year && QUARTER([Date])=__Quarter)
RETURN
  DIVIDE(SUMX(__Table,[ReturnItem]),SUMX(__Table,[Originated]),0
 Do I need to change something in the formula

@nishthabhakta I think I see your problem, you are missing the YEAR function for your __Year VAR.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
nishthabhakta
Regular Visitor

nishthabhakta
Regular Visitor

@Greg_Deckler Hey greg! Still some issue with the number. If I sum up the Originated Items for Quarter 1 of 2021 it is 1258751 and sum of quarter 1 2021 return items come up to 37034. When we divide 37034/1258751 the number we get is 0.0294. Also if I plug the new column in a visual, it is still summing up the rows  

@nishthabhakta You can solve the summing problem by doing an average instead of a sum. Or use a Quarter column and a measure like in the attached file below signature. Don't ever use the auto date hierarchy. Not sure if that is the issue but bad. I checked my column calculation against a simple measure and they both return the same result. See file. You want 'Table7'. The Measure 4 by Quarter visual on the Page 1.

Latest book!:

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@nishthabhakta Maybe:

Quarter Ratio Column =
  VAR __Year = YEAR([Date])
  VAR __Quarter = QUARTER([Date])
  VAR __Table = FILTER('Table',YEAR([Date])=__Year && QUARTER([Date])=__Quarter)
RETURN
  DIVIDE(SUMX(__Table,[ReturnItem]),SUMX(__Table,[Originated]),0)

Latest book!:

Thanks! I will try this one

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.