Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Bokangmaela
Frequent Visitor

Calculated Columns offset value

Good day 

I am current try to replicate a totalizer reconstructure into power bi using a calculated column. Lets say we have a column named Tagvalues which hold a list of values.  I have created a calculated column called Peviouse Tagvalue which holds which number appeared before the current value. I also created an Index column to help me contruct the Previouse Tagvalue column. This is shown in the picture below.

Bokangmaela_0-1678878628498.png

What the Totalizer reconstructed column should do is check if the Tagvalue is greater than the Previous Tagvalue. If the Tagvalue is greater than the Previouse Tagvalue I want to add the previouse value of the totalizer reconstructed column with the Tagvalue and subtract the Previouse Tagvalue. If the Tagvalue is less than the Previous Tagvalue what I want to do is use the previous value that has been calculated by the totalizer reconstructor column and use that as the value as shown in the image below.

Bokangmaela_1-1678880254014.png

What I had a look at is using the OFFSET like this 

Totalizer reconstructed  = 

var previouseReconstructedValue = Calculate(

[Totalizer reconstructed], OFFSET(-1)

)

var currentValue= 'Test'[Tagvalue]

var previousTagvalue = 'Test'[Previouse Tagvalue]

var difference = currentValue - previouseValue

Return

IF(

difference > 0,  previouseReconstructedValue + currentValue - previousTagvalue, 

IF(

difference < 0, previouseReconstructedValue 

)

)

But obivously this is wrong and it won't work because you can't use the offset function like that I would like to find out if there is a way to use the previouse value of a calculated column within the column 

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Bokangmaela , If you want a new column

Previous Tage value = maxx(filter(Table, [Index] = earlier([Index]) -1), [Tag Value])

for measure consider Offset

Power BI Offset Compare Categories, Time Intelligence MOM, QOQ, and YOY: https://youtu.be/5YMlkDNGr0U

Hello @amitchandak , 
I have similiar problem, 
1. I get RANK

betty_bui2602_1-1694063251817.png

2. Apply Earlier

betty_bui2602_0-1694063225607.png

it seems ok on 1 single key, but total is not correct. Do you know where it went wrong? 😞

betty_bui2602_2-1694063508237.png

Thanks for taking your time to look at my question.

I am able to calculate the previouse the Previouse Tag value using a calculated column. The issue that I am facing is while calculating each row of a column I need to be able to look at the previous row of the column in order to calculate the next value of the column

For example 

Bokangmaela_1-1678951973587.png

Lets have a look at row index 3. The row value in the New Value column at Row Index 3 is calculated by using the [New Value column at Row Index 2] +  [Current tag value column at Row Index 3] - [Previous tag value column at Row Index 3].  The issue I am have is getting the [New Value column at Row Index 2] in order to calculate the value for the New value column at Row Index 3.  So you can't calculate the next row value without using the previous row value.

If I am using your example I would want to do something like 

Previous Tage value =
var PreviouseValue = maxx(filter(Table, [Index] = earlier([Index]) -1), [Previous Tage value])

Here is the Excel equivalent
Bokangmaela_0-1678960460661.png

Please let me know if my explanation provides more clarity in the issue that I am facing. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.