Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

gobrien06
Frequent Visitor

Bar Chart Showing "Blank" Month

Hi, 

I have a bar chart where I am trying to show the Total Quantity of Items sold per month, by category. I have a sales data table that has the Total Quantity and Item Category columns, and a date table. The sales date column from the sales data table is connected to the date table. 

The visual I am trying to make is Total Quantity Distributed by Month and Category. However, when I add Month to the X axis, Total Quantity to the Y Axis, and Category as the Legend, the visual shows a "Blank" month - despite there being NO blank sales dates in the sales data table.

This problem does not occur if I use Year from the Date table, instead of Month. 

Screenshot 2023-06-08 133930.pngScreenshot 2023-06-08 133909.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gobrien06
Frequent Visitor

The error was occuring because the date table was using 00:00:0000 as the time, while there were dates in my sales data table that had a non-zero time. I resolved the issue by going into the query editor, and changing the column type to Date (and NOT Date/Time). This had to be done from within the query editor. 

More information: https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/DAX-Commands-and-Tips/Date-Hierarchy-shows-Blanks-in-Visua... 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
gobrien06
Frequent Visitor

The error was occuring because the date table was using 00:00:0000 as the time, while there were dates in my sales data table that had a non-zero time. I resolved the issue by going into the query editor, and changing the column type to Date (and NOT Date/Time). This had to be done from within the query editor. 

More information: https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/DAX-Commands-and-Tips/Date-Hierarchy-shows-Blanks-in-Visua... 

nvprasad
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi gobrien06,

The only reason i could think of is "Blank rows in Month column in Calander table".

Could you please check ? 😊

Appreciate a Kudos! ‌‌
If this helps and resolves the issue, please mark it as a Solution! ‌‌

Regards,
N V Durga Prasad

Hi, there are no blank rows in the date table, or in the sales data table. Additionally, I am using the Date Hierarchy feature, so the date table only has one column for date. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.