Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Automatic Power BI refresh in import mode

Hello Power BI community,

Hope everyone is doing well. I am trying to solve the automatic refresh in the POwer BI desktop since my data is in Import Mode. There is a very simple procedure for the Scheduled refresh in Direct Query but i was wondering if there is any facility to Automatically refresh the Import at any perticular time of the day.

Help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Vatsal

9 REPLIES 9
janinedev
Frequent Visitor

what I've learned is that when my data is in import mode, the page refresh doesn't show, but when I add direct query data, it does show.
See image for reference. On the first image I have a direct query data as you can see page refresh is showing, on the second image once i remove the direct query data the page refresh option is not showing

janinedev_0-1704788415569.png

janinedev_1-1704788441583.png

DMiradakis
Advocate II
Advocate II

Great question here. The answer is a little complicated.

In summary: no, you cannot use Automatic Page Refresh with Import Mode. Import Mode is not supported in that feature, period, regardless of licensing types or capacities.

However, this is still possible through other solutions - just not through Automatic Page Refresh.

For example, if you use Power BI Premium Per User (PPU), Premium Per Capacity, or an Azure embedded capacity, then technically you can get an unlimited number of refreshes for an Import Mode dataset; you just have to setup some sort of pipeline to automate the refreshes above 48 times per day, such as by using Power Automate, Powershell, or HTTP calls to the Power BI REST API.

If you were to do that, then you could use the Power BI JavaScript SDK to check for refreshed Import Mode data up to every 15 seconds - and if Import Mode data is found, then the Power BI JavaScript SDK can actually force the visuals on the report canvas to update.

This is exactly what I've done to build a custom Power BI app to help people build advanced slideshows and display them on TVs and other unattended devices (disclaimer, I'm the founder: https://www.displagent.io).

Hope that helps!

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous In Power BI Desktop you cannot auto-refresh using import, but for the direct query, you can use automatic page refresh.

Although in Power BI service, you can set a schedule refresh for Import.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am trying to setup a schedule refresh, but I am not able to access the refresh options

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k  My data is on Cloud so i can not set up the data gateway at this point for the Auto Scheduling. I know there is a way to add the Python scripting to the Windows task manager to Automate the refreshing but i was looking for something more robust. Thanks for the help.

Hi @Anonymous ,

As of now, Automatic refresh is not available within Power BI Desktop. The only refresh option within BI Desktop is the manual Refresh you find in the top ribbon. Here is an idea: Auto refresh data in Power BI desktop

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@Anonymous one thing I'm not sure, why regular schedule with import without gateway is not working, what we are missing here?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Unfortunately, you can not auto-refresh data with import mode in desktop.

Good that you are aware of direct query mode.

With the help of the Data Gateway you can auto-refresh the data with import mode.

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tahreem24My data is on Cloud so i can not set up the data gateway at this point for the Auto Scheduling. I know there is a way to add the Python scripting to the Windows task manager to Automate the refreshing but i was looking for something more robust. Thanks for the help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.