Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tameemyousaf
Helper I
Helper I

Automated Testing Tool

Is there any automated testing tool for Power BI?

6 REPLIES 6
Sastry_Chirravu
Frequent Visitor

@tameemyousaf  You can try Datagaps BI Validator for Power BI Report testing. BI Validator supports to automate the Power BI testing with respect to data, UI, Bookmarks, all other meta data attributes, Load testing etc. It is a comprehensive tool with regular enhancements for the add on features of Power BI. Click here to Download

Brendon
Frequent Visitor

@tameemyousaf , as others have said, it depends what you're trying to test. If you're trying to test the user experience with the frontend, as @acbg is, then you would probably want to use tools like Selenium, Tosca, UFT, etc to interact with the UI.

If you're interested in testing that the visuals are configured with the correct filters and such, in other words, that they are displaying the data you expect them to display, then you could still use the tools above but you'd need to build something to query your database to get your expected result. This second scenario is what I've been doing for a client. It's not simple but it's definitely possible. 

I found that this approach worked well but there were other challenges (like running thousands of tests in a reasonable timeframe, cost of maintenance, distinct skillset to the rest of the team) that eventually lead me to build my own tool. If you're interested, you can check it out here.

acbg
Resolver III
Resolver III

I am also looking for the same, an automated testing tool for reports in power bi service.
Wanting to test the reports in the service on the following:
When slicers are applied, is the card/chart yielding correct results and exporting it correctly.
Also when a button is selected is it navigating to correct page or bookmark.

Dax studio is not a great tool if your data is changing, as you still have to type in the expected results. And of course it does not check the front end navigation.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

@acbg Datagaps provide end to end automated testing solutions for Power BI Reports. With Datagaps BI Validator you can automate testing of each individual visual data against Data Source queries and can check whether the actions provided in the Buttons are as expected with respect to Navigation links,Bookmarks etc. Test cases can be created from Individual Visuals to 100s of reports and trigger the test cases or suit of test cases through CI/CD and get notified with results posted back to your mail. For any futher queries you can reach out to support@datagaps.com or check the webinar link Automate The Testing of Power BI using BI Validator - Webinar - YouTube

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@tameemyousaf Depends what you are trying to test but in general, no, there is no specific tool for automated testing with Power BI like there is for Dynamics 365 CRM for instance. What are you testing?

If you are trying to test user interaction, potentially RPA like Power Automate

If this is embedding, if you embed the Power BI reports in a JavaScript application, most of the testing could be testing the JS scripts. Some other references as follows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFbCh5TaR4w

https://microsoft.github.io/PowerBI-JavaScript/demo/v2-demo/index.html

If you are trying to test DAX - https://powerpivotpro.com/2018/09/automated-testing-using-dax-for-power-bi/

If you are trying to test Power Query, could probably do it similar to above testing DAX

If you have R and Python code, not sure.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@tameemyousaf , I am not able to recall one quickly.

Check this article if this can help a bit -https://powerpivotpro.com/2018/09/automated-testing-using-dax-for-power-bi/

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.