Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

praveenpasila
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Assign different value

Hi All,

Can some one please help me with the below scenario.

when user selects a value from filter it should display that user name and rest all should be displayed B1, B2 ....

Below is the sample data.

Customer NameSales
User1100
User2150
User390
User4160

For Example when we click User1 in the filter it should display the selected value in the bar chart and rest of users should be displayed as B1, B2, B3

Expected o/p when we click User1 

Customer NameSales
User1100
B1150
B290
B2160

Please suggest.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Barthel
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hey,

Good point! It should also be possible with a disconnected table.

Create a table with all unique users. Create a table with b variants; the same number as the number of users. Append these tables together, so you get a table like this:

Barthel_0-1659288449858.png

Then add two columns: one column (‘User’) in which the username is always shown and one column (‘Type’) to distinguish between username and b variant. In this case I use 'U' for username and 'B' for variant:

Barthel_1-1659288449862.png

Place the 'Value' column in a matrix and place the username column from your original table (so not the disconnected one) in a slicer. The next step is to create the right measure. Use this code for your measure:

Measure = 
SWITCH (
    TRUE (),
    SELECTEDVALUE ( DiscUsers[Type] ) = "U",
        CALCULATE (
            SUM ( 'Table'[Amount] ),
            KEEPFILTERS ( TREATAS ( VALUES ( DiscUsers[User] ), 'Table'[User] ) )
        ),
    SELECTEDVALUE ( DiscUsers[User] ) <> SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[User] ),
        CALCULATE (
            SUM ( 'Table'[Amount] ),
            TREATAS ( VALUES ( DiscUsers[User] ), 'Table'[User] )
        )
)

Also in this case the B does not always start at 1. It is possible to realize this, but that would make the code more complex and that may not be ideal with real time data.

Barthel_2-1659288470693.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Barthel
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hey,

Good point! It should also be possible with a disconnected table.

Create a table with all unique users. Create a table with b variants; the same number as the number of users. Append these tables together, so you get a table like this:

Barthel_0-1659288449858.png

Then add two columns: one column (‘User’) in which the username is always shown and one column (‘Type’) to distinguish between username and b variant. In this case I use 'U' for username and 'B' for variant:

Barthel_1-1659288449862.png

Place the 'Value' column in a matrix and place the username column from your original table (so not the disconnected one) in a slicer. The next step is to create the right measure. Use this code for your measure:

Measure = 
SWITCH (
    TRUE (),
    SELECTEDVALUE ( DiscUsers[Type] ) = "U",
        CALCULATE (
            SUM ( 'Table'[Amount] ),
            KEEPFILTERS ( TREATAS ( VALUES ( DiscUsers[User] ), 'Table'[User] ) )
        ),
    SELECTEDVALUE ( DiscUsers[User] ) <> SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[User] ),
        CALCULATE (
            SUM ( 'Table'[Amount] ),
            TREATAS ( VALUES ( DiscUsers[User] ), 'Table'[User] )
        )
)

Also in this case the B does not always start at 1. It is possible to realize this, but that would make the code more complex and that may not be ideal with real time data.

Barthel_2-1659288470693.png

Hi Barthel,

The approach is working all fine but have a small issue while I am trying to filter the view using date filter leaving the selected customer all other customer sales are showing wrong I might need to add date in the dax. I tried all selected all and remove filter nothing works really helps if you can share some inputs.

Thank you

Hi @Barthel 

Thanks for the inputs I am trying your mentioned approach but got stuck while creating user and type column could you please help me on this.

Thank you

Barthel
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hey,

You can try enlarging the table with the B1, B2... data. So that the table looks like this:

Barthel_0-1659102526610.png

This is an example code of how to create such a table in Power Query.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCi1OLTJU0lEyNDBQitWB8I1AfFME3xjIt0RwTUDSZkB+LAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Customer Name" = _t, Sales = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Customer Name", type text}, {"Sales", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 1, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "All Rows", each #"Added Index"),
    #"Expanded All Rows" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "All Rows", {"Customer Name"}, {"Customer Name.1"}),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded All Rows", "Value", each if [Customer Name] = [Customer Name.1] then [Customer Name] else "B" & Text.From([Index])),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Added Custom1",{"Sales", "Customer Name.1", "Value"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Other Columns",{{"Customer Name.1", type text}, {"Value", type text}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type1",{{"Customer Name.1", "Customer Name"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

Then place the 'Value' and 'Sales' of the table in a matrix visual. And put the 'Customer Name' in a slicer:

Barthel_1-1659102679945.png
When selecting 1 user, the other users are displayed as B#. It's just not always the case that the B starts from 1.

Hi @Barthel,

Thank you so much for your responce.

This works but I have a problem that in my real time data I have huge number of records.

so enlarging the data might not be fesiable is there any other way something like creating disconnected table and calling those values.

Thank you so much in advance!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.