Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

felix571

Assign column field to custom filter

Hey guys,

I created a custom table as you can see here:

felix571_0-1680157639609.png

I am sorting the column "Status" using the column "Preset order".

After that, I created a filter and connected it to my custom table:

Two fields from the column "Status" in my tableSettings of the filter
felix571_1-1680157762289.png

felix571_2-1680157796287.png

This was the preparation for filtering the complete report. Now I need to connect this filter to my data model.
In my data model I have a column with a lot different entries, but they can be split up in the two entries of my custom table.
Here is an example:

Custom table fieldData model fields (all in one column)
Meldungen in Arbeit (Example A)

MIAR OFMA GNOK IT

MIAR AMER GNOK RC
MIAR GKNK IT
MIAR OFMA GNOK RC CINF

Abgeschlossene Meldungen (Example B)MMAB AMER GNOK RS
MMAB OFMA LÖVM GNPF IT
MMAB AMER GNOK IT CINF

How can I assign the entries of my data model to the two different entries of my custom table/filter? This would be very nice to have an easy filter method for the complete report.

Do you have any idea how to do that? 
Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
felix571

Thank you for your answers!
It turned out, that it was a lot easier to just "translate" the data model field with the original status (e.g. "MIAR OFMA")  to the desired status (e.g. "Notification closed").
I did this with the CONTAINSSTRING-function in a new column, which is giving me a TRUE or FALSE.
This TRUE or FALSE is translated to "Notification closed" or "Notification in progess" with a simple if-function in a seperate new column.
The first four letters of the original status are containing enough information for me to distinguish between "Notification closed" or "Notification in progess".

I don´t know if thats a super clean solution, but it works for me.
Thanks again!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
felix571

Thank you for your answers!
It turned out, that it was a lot easier to just "translate" the data model field with the original status (e.g. "MIAR OFMA")  to the desired status (e.g. "Notification closed").
I did this with the CONTAINSSTRING-function in a new column, which is giving me a TRUE or FALSE.
This TRUE or FALSE is translated to "Notification closed" or "Notification in progess" with a simple if-function in a seperate new column.
The first four letters of the original status are containing enough information for me to distinguish between "Notification closed" or "Notification in progess".

I don´t know if thats a super clean solution, but it works for me.
Thanks again!

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Not sure of what you want but try this.  In the Query Editor, split the second column by rows.  Now create a relationship (Many to One and single) from the first column of the table to the first column of the Custom table.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Learn about Column Groups. You may not even need the custom table.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.