Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PrimaryKey
Frequent Visitor

App Refresh

Clicking the refresh button in a Power BI App (published from a workspace) does not appear to trigger a refresh of the underlying dataset.  How can I force the App content to refresh each time I click the refresh button.

Scheduled refresh is not suitable for my apps.  I need the content refresh on demand

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @PrimaryKey ,

As you can see the text information with red circle, it will not refresh the underlying dataset when you click Refresh button in the upper right corner of the app page. It only refresh the visuals with latest data when the data model has been updated... If you want to trigger the underlying dataset refresh, you need to hit the refresh button of dataset side just as describe in my previous post...

yingyinr_0-1624005659442.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
EHA-Dan

Same problem here and I still dont see a solution on how anyone besides the creator can update.

How can these permissions be granted ?

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PrimaryKey ,

If you have the proper access to the workspace, you can click "Update app" button in the upper right corner to enter the app configuration page to view the dashboard and report involved. Then go to know the referenced datasets. Later find the corresponding dataset and click to the right of the data set "..." Option, select "Refresh now" to refresh all involved datasets one by one.

Get app configuration pageGet app configuration page

Find the involved dashboards and reports in appFind the involved dashboards and reports in app

Refresh datasetsRefresh datasets

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks.  I do.  But my users won't and I wouldn't expect them to update the underlying datasets.  I want them to be able to click on the refresh button at the top of the App or it to refresh on opening

Hi @PrimaryKey ,

As you can see the text information with red circle, it will not refresh the underlying dataset when you click Refresh button in the upper right corner of the app page. It only refresh the visuals with latest data when the data model has been updated... If you want to trigger the underlying dataset refresh, you need to hit the refresh button of dataset side just as describe in my previous post...

yingyinr_0-1624005659442.png

Best Regards

The article refers to configuring a scheduled refresh.  As stated, I need the apps to refresh on demand

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.