Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Delion
Helper IV
Helper IV

Ambiguous paths between tables connection

Delion_0-1618830937879.png

I have :

2 master table dim: Master_Area and Master_Date

3 fact table : FACT_TABLE_A, FACT_TABLE_B, FACT_TABLE_C

When I connect Master_Area 1: many to FACT_TABLE_A, FACT_TABLE_B, FACT_TABLE_C, everything is running well

but when I connect Master_Date1: many to only FACT_TABLE_A can connect (line in full line not in dotted line) for  FACT_TABLE_B, FACT_TABLE_C it comes with the error message :

failed to save modifications to the server. there are ambiguous paths between tables
why can't connect this 2 fact table to master_date?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Delion ,

I think the main reason is that the wrong activity relationship is set up. Generally speaking, there can only be one active relationship between two tables. If there is more than one relationship, it needs to be set as an inactive relationship. In addition, specific screening directions may also cause errors. Therefore, you can refer to the specific official documents to view the relationship model between the constructed dimension table and the fact table.

v-henryk-mstf_0-1618971214628.png

v-henryk-mstf_1-1618971297912.png

reference document link: Create and manage relationships in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Delion ,

I think the main reason is that the wrong activity relationship is set up. Generally speaking, there can only be one active relationship between two tables. If there is more than one relationship, it needs to be set as an inactive relationship. In addition, specific screening directions may also cause errors. Therefore, you can refer to the specific official documents to view the relationship model between the constructed dimension table and the fact table.

v-henryk-mstf_0-1618971214628.png

v-henryk-mstf_1-1618971297912.png

reference document link: Create and manage relationships in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Delion 

If you don't want to have problems with your model and DAX calculations, I'd stick to star schemas with the default simple one-way filtering. This is how real professionals do it. If you want to know more, please read this: Understand star schema and the importance for Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

It's not possible to give you a full answer because the diagram doesn't show the direction of the relationships (i.e. how they filter)  but basically powerbi prevents alternative paths between tables.  There must be (at most) only one path between any two tables.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.