Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Adjust the star rating with halves

Hi there,

I created this measure for stars: 

Star Rating = 
IF(HASONEVALUE(Forms[Rating]),  BLANK(),
LEFT(REPT(UNICHAR(9733), AVERAGE(Forms[Rating]))  
&  
REPT(UNICHAR(9734), 5-AVERAGE(Forms[Rating])),5))

Yet I need to make the visual more granulated, so it shows half stars as well or anything along the lines. Do you have any idea how to achieve this? I am also open to other solutions, maybe some icons? 

AndrejBI_0-1613552457982.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cookieking
Frequent Visitor

I have been playing around with this for a day or so. I have found that the unichar support for 11 is not available in power bi yet, for half stars. I created single star images and tried the REPT function, but that also failed. I guess that once it is set as an Image URL, the REPT function converts it back to a string. Then I created about 15 images for all 5 stars ratings that range from 1, 1.25, 1.5 through to 5. I converted the images to base64. I added this data to a table in my report. In addition, I named the images according to their rating value. With this, I was able to create a measure with a LOOKUP and get the correct star rating based on the average rating value:

Star = 
var decRAR = MROUND(AVERAGE('Ratings'[Rating]),0.25)
return
LOOKUPVALUE('FiveStar'[img],'FiveStar'[imgName],decRAR)

this works great, except for my image size. The actual size is 371 X 65, which seems large, but they are too small to read when added to a table. The only size setting I could find in the table was under GRID, Image Height. when I increase the height, the row height also increases, and the formatting does not look good. What is the best way to size these images?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
cookieking
Frequent Visitor

I have been playing around with this for a day or so. I have found that the unichar support for 11 is not available in power bi yet, for half stars. I created single star images and tried the REPT function, but that also failed. I guess that once it is set as an Image URL, the REPT function converts it back to a string. Then I created about 15 images for all 5 stars ratings that range from 1, 1.25, 1.5 through to 5. I converted the images to base64. I added this data to a table in my report. In addition, I named the images according to their rating value. With this, I was able to create a measure with a LOOKUP and get the correct star rating based on the average rating value:

Star = 
var decRAR = MROUND(AVERAGE('Ratings'[Rating]),0.25)
return
LOOKUPVALUE('FiveStar'[img],'FiveStar'[imgName],decRAR)

this works great, except for my image size. The actual size is 371 X 65, which seems large, but they are too small to read when added to a table. The only size setting I could find in the table was under GRID, Image Height. when I increase the height, the row height also increases, and the formatting does not look good. What is the best way to size these images?

v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Anonymous  ,

You can try to select Get more visuals in Visualizations to enter the custom visual object store

v-yangliu-msft_0-1613695080227.jpeg

2. Search for Stars and find Ratings View by TME AG.

v-yangliu-msft_1-1613695080232.png

3. This graphic can display more accurate Stars and interact with other views.

v-yangliu-msft_2-1613695080233.jpeg

You can downloaded PBIX file from here.

For related information about Star Rating, you can check the following link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5IKZSlFSNc

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak, yes I was inspired by these articles to create my measure. My question is about half to make it more granular, as it's a huge difference to have a 5-star rating for 4.9 and 4.51. I know there is a unicode for half a star but I can't get nor find the logic to make it work. 

Also, both of the articles are from 2018, so I was hoping for some updated version for this solution 🙂 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.