Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

leahschneider
Helper III
Helper III

Adding Column From Source

I need to add a column 'type' in the SQL query that my Power BI report uses.  I add it in SQL and refresh the query.  This causes me to get the error of "Failed to save modifications to the server.  Error returned: 'A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected.  The current operation was cancelled because another operation in the transaction failed.'

I know that adding this column will cause some of my custom columns to not work anymore because of the multiple values mentioned above.  But it seems like it would be impossible to fix this if I can't add the column to begin with.  I'd rather not start this entire project over and I need this column added. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
leahschneider
Helper III
Helper III

If anybody else is interested, I solved it.  I put the column as blank in the SQL which wouldn't cause errors and then fixed each Power BI column it occurred in.  It was fairly trial and error.  I wouldn't reccomend it. If anybody has a better solution or if Power BI wants to help with some easier error message or at least let me load tables with bad columns, that would be neat.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
leahschneider
Helper III
Helper III

If anybody else is interested, I solved it.  I put the column as blank in the SQL which wouldn't cause errors and then fixed each Power BI column it occurred in.  It was fairly trial and error.  I wouldn't reccomend it. If anybody has a better solution or if Power BI wants to help with some easier error message or at least let me load tables with bad columns, that would be neat.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@leahschneider

You can try the opposite of what I suggested here - instead of delete - add the column!

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Referesh-Error/m-p/126055#M53424

Hope this works.

Good Luck! Smiley Happy

The column adds in query editor.  It just won't let me apply the change to the report because of the multiple values in a single table errors.  The error is not in the refresh preview, it is in the close and apply.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.