Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

andika

how to average directly from matrix

Hi,

I tried to get the average of Minute of works from certain period per employee which measured the sum of MOW divide by (number working days - number public holiday and employee leave. Now i want my matrix show the average directly from the column without calculated average from the tabel again.

here is my matrix

andika_0-1705047921522.png

I want the average total is shown the average of value from cell matrix. which is for example in 2023 jan i get the value = 526.1

i try the measurement below but it failed

Average MOW = if( ISINSCOPE(FactWorkDetails[PIC Full Name]),
    divide (SUM(FactWorkDetails[Minute of Works]) ,
    CALCULATE(
        COUNT('Date'[Dayinweek]),'Date'[Dayinweek]="weekdays")-
        CALCULATE(
            COUNTROWS(FILTER(Holiday,Holiday[PIC Full Name]=SELECTEDVALUE(FactWorkDetails[PIC Full Name])
            )
            )
            ,Holiday[Column]="weekdays")
            ),
    DIVIDE(DIVIDE (SUM(FactWorkDetails[Minute of Works]) , CALCULATE(COUNT('Date'[Dayinweek]),'Date'[Dayinweek]="weekdays")),DISTINCTCOUNT(FactWorkDetails[PIC Full Name])))

Really appreciate for the help. Thx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @lbendlin 

really appreciate your help with this issue, already got what i needed by combining your approach and my previous approach, the measure is like this :

Measure 4 = VAR a = SUMMARIZE(FactWorkDetails,FactWorkDetails[PIC Full Name],'Date'[Month])
var b = ADDCOLUMNS(a,"Working days",CALCULATE(
        CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT ( Holiday[Date] ),FILTER(Holiday,Holiday[Column]="weekdays"),FILTER(Holiday,Holiday[PIC Full Name]=FactWorkDetails[PIC Full Name])),
        "MOW",CALCULATE(SUM(FactWorkDetails[Minute of Works])))
return AVERAGEX(b,DIVIDE([MOW],[Working days],0))

and the table matrix is like this, exactly the same when i do the manual calculation via excel

andika_0-1705368923323.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
andika

HI @lbendlin really appreciate with your answer. 

ur answer so close with i wanted to find, but it cant handle the scenario :

1. FactWorkDetails[Date Our] can be on holiday date and / or Weekend date

2. Date in holiday table is belong to PIC Full name

but i follow your approach by creating new table and adjust the Dax formula to suit my need and it works wonders, but when i try to convert it into measure the grand total wont show average. can you help whats wrong with my measure (measure 4)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rRSBiPEYN6kQI4kYkvQV3Tz34YssqQzl/view?usp=sharing

Hi @lbendlin 

really appreciate your help with this issue, already got what i needed by combining your approach and my previous approach, the measure is like this :

Measure 4 = VAR a = SUMMARIZE(FactWorkDetails,FactWorkDetails[PIC Full Name],'Date'[Month])
var b = ADDCOLUMNS(a,"Working days",CALCULATE(
        CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT ( Holiday[Date] ),FILTER(Holiday,Holiday[Column]="weekdays"),FILTER(Holiday,Holiday[PIC Full Name]=FactWorkDetails[PIC Full Name])),
        "MOW",CALCULATE(SUM(FactWorkDetails[Minute of Works])))
return AVERAGEX(b,DIVIDE([MOW],[Working days],0))

and the table matrix is like this, exactly the same when i do the manual calculation via excel

andika_0-1705368923323.png

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You can simplify your approach by "thinking like the grand total"

lbendlin_0-1705263394419.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors