Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

domtrump
Helper I
Helper I

dynamic date table based on min and max of date column

I would like to create a date table that is based on the customer's "Sign-up Date." As I do not wish to have dates in my pivot table from before the first sign-up or after the last sign-up, I want the date table to be dynamic and grow as more dates are added. I could certainly "hard code" the start date of the table since it would coincide with the company's opening, but I need the end date to go to the last sign-up date and not show anything in the future. How can I create a Date Table that grows based on the MAX date found in the "Sign-up" column?

Note: I typically just use a linked table from Excel for my date tables in PowerPivot but this has proven problematic as I need to include ALL dates between min and max sign-up in my columns and rows even if there is no data found for them when I slice the data (i.e the resulting pivot table needs to have the same number of columns and rows regardless of the slicers applied).

3 REPLIES 3
Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi,

I am not sure how your datamodel looks like, but I tried to create a sample pbix file like below.

One of many ways to achieve this is to create a calendar table by wring DAX formula.

Please check the below picture and the attached pbix file.

Jihwan_Kim_0-1685417854972.png

Calendar = 
VAR _mindate =
    MIN ( Customer[Sign-up Date] )
VAR _maxdate =
    MAX ( Customer[Sign-up Date] )
RETURN
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        CALENDAR ( _mindate, _maxdate ),
        "Year", YEAR ( [Date] ),
        "Year-Month", FORMAT ( [Date], "yyyy-mmm" ),
        "Year-Month sort", EOMONTH ( [Date], 0 )
    )

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Looks like that would do it, but where do I place this formula?

Does this just make a virtual table that you can use in formulas? How can I make a physical table that exhibits this behavior? Or is using a virtual table the way to go? Either way, I'm not sure where to place this formula in my PP Data Model.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors