Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lawada4
Frequent Visitor

dax calculation total is incorrect

im trying to calculate return on investement for stocks data based on the formula ( current price-initial cost)/initial cost. 

i calculated first the initial cost ( purchased amount * number of stocks purchased) then the current position price as:

(current price* number of stocks purchased) and finally i want to get Profit/Loss amount and Profit/Loss %.

simply i subtracted : current price-initial cost and for the percentage i calculated it as:( current price-initial cost)/initial cost.

the result is correct for indivisual stock but the overall total purchased amount value, Profit/Loss value and percentage is incorrect 

lawada4_0-1671033003552.png

in the total , it's taking the sum(last closing price) * sum (number of stocks purchased): 53*135934=7204502 which is wrong. the correct result should be the sum of column 4693.579996 which is the sum of all values in the amount purchased column.

the line chart is also showing incorect percentages in the overall return but only correct values for indiviual stocks

lawada4_1-1671033540119.png

the used DAX measures 

• amount purchased value = CALCULATE(SUM('user portfolio'[number of stocks purchased])*[last closing price])
  • p&l = CALCULATE([amount purchased value]-SUM('user portfolio'[Amount Purchased]))
  • p&l % = CALCULATE(([amount purchased value]-SUM('user portfolio'[Amount Purchased]))/SUM('user portfolio'[Amount Purchased]),FILTER('stocks data','stocks data'[date diff]>=0))
  • puchasing date diff column = DATEDIFF(RELATED('user portfolio'[Date Purchased]),'stocks data'[Date],DAY)

any idea on how to fix the calculation to show the correct overall profit/loss value and percetage?

note: when calcuting ROI there are other things taken into consideration like : dividend, commission fees, etc. and this example is just a simple case 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Syk
Super User
Super User

The total column does not by default sum the total of the rows above in Power BI. Alberto explains it much better than I could attempt to - https://youtu.be/6rgAkejrup8

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @lawada4 

please use

amount purchased value =

SUMX (
VALUES ( 'user portfolio'[Ticker] ),
CALCULATE ( SUM ( 'user portfolio'[number of stocks purchased] ) ) * [last closing price]
)

AilleryO
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi,

As mentionned by @Syk the total of a table in Power BI is the same calculation as the one for the lines/rows except the filter coming from the lines.

To get back the Row context (which I think you need), you should replace your SUM by SUMX to restore a row by row calculation (iteration).

To get more details, you can watch the video.

Hope it helps and do not hesitate to share your formula with other members that could face the same situation or tell us if you need more help.

Syk
Super User
Super User

The total column does not by default sum the total of the rows above in Power BI. Alberto explains it much better than I could attempt to - https://youtu.be/6rgAkejrup8

lawada4
Frequent Visitor

SUMX has solved the problem.

i changed the measure to:

amount puchased value =
SUMX(
    VALUES('stocks data'[Ticker]),

CALCULATE(SUM('user portfolio'[number of stocks purchased])*[last closing price])
)

thank you for sending the link! it was quite informative.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors