Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using sumx to create filter on the lowest level that works on a aggregated level

Hi all!

I am trying to design a filter via DAX that on the loweset level (transaction) is doing a search for a substring within a columns stringvalue. I need to do this as a measure, and not a calculated column since the Substring is a variable that is selected in the report, hence it cannot be a computed column.

I have come up with the solution below.

• For every row, search for Substring in ConcatenatedListofCars.
  • If Substring is found, return a 1, otherwise return a 0.
  • SUMX to sum all rows up.
  • Use Myfilter=1 as filter in PBI.

This approach works very well when it comes to a reports that shows data on transaction level.

However, it does not always work in a report that is showing data on a aggregated level.
That is propably due to the fact that I am using FIRSTNONBLANK on ConcatenatedListOfCars and therefor, depending on the reports design (and aggregationlevels), sometimes gets the wrong ConcatenatedListOfCars. I always want to compare the Substring to the current row ConcatenatedListOfCars.

Any ideas or hints on this one?
BR:
// Michael

Example DAX:

Myfilter:=

Var Substring = "Volvo"

Var Result =

IF (

SUMX (

'FactTable';

SEARCH(Substring;CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK(VALUES('FactTable'[ConcatenatedListOfCars]);1) );;0)

)

> 0;

1;

)

Return Result

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors